none
Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using Outlook 2010 on the workstations in an Exchange 2016 environment. 

We have checked the option 'Use Cached Exchange Mode' in Outlook on all workstations.

But in Outlook 2010 we do not get the option of selecting the period of time to keep offline Mail like in Outlook 2013 and 2016.

As a result it seems that it downloads and stores the entire Mailbox in the local OST file of Outlook. 

This is big problem as Mailboxes with GBs of capacity are stored in the local OST files of the workstations.

How can I configure the period of time to keep offline Mail like in Outlook 2010?

Is there any such similar option like in the one exists in Outlook 2013 and 2016?

Our purpose is to have smaller OST files.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:22 AM

Answers

• You will need to change the date range you set on your inbox, or update to Office 2013 or 2016 as this is a workaround and not native behavior in Outlook 2010. You could also point your users to outlook web access for older mails.

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Mousmoulis,

You can do this per folder in Outlook 2010.

1. Right click the folder (eg; Inbox), and go to Properties
    2. Go to the Synchronization tab
    3. Click the Filter button
    4. Create an Advanced filter rule based on the Received field. Set the filter condition to be on or after and the value to be x months ago (replace x!)

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:54 AM
  • Hi Mousmoulis,

I don't believe this is support in Outlook 2010, however there is a workaround in this article which may help you.

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:54 AM
  • Hello Simon, 

I have tested that in my Inbox (set it to 2 months) and it has synced, and I can view emails in Outlook from the latest 2 months. 

But unfortunately I cannot view the older emails. There is not a link like Office 2016 "Click here to view more on Microsoft Exchange". 

So, how can I view the older emails?

Regards

Kostas

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:14 AM
  • You will need to change the date range you set on your inbox, or update to Office 2013 or 2016 as this is a workaround and not native behavior in Outlook 2010. You could also point your users to outlook web access for older mails.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:31 AM
  • Thank you for your reply..
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:43 AM