none
Customize Transport Rule Rejection Message: Exchange Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange Server 2010 (wasn't an option in the drop down)

I have an inbox that receives a lot of external email. We would like to use an exchange transport rule to block messages with attachments sent to this email--we have other routes for customers to send attachments--and respond with a rejection message that guides the customer to those methods. The problem I'm running into is that I have so little control over how that rejection message looks. Yes, I can put a string on it, but that string is buried under a lot of useless (for the customer) information. I think this will confuse and frustrate users. Even for the enhancement codes, I'm limited to values between 5.7.1 and 5.7.10. Is there some way I can customize this or send a template message instead? I tried to instead use an inbox rule, but for reasons I won't delve into here, that won't work for us.

Here's what the beginning of the average rejection message looks like, after removing identifying info:

Date: Subject: Undeliverable: Fwd: Blank Word Doc

To:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

Your message wasn't delivered due to a permission or security issue. It may have been rejected by a moderator, the address may only accept e-mail from certain senders, or another restriction may be preventing delivery.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server:

#550 5.7.1 Filler Test Message. Thank you for contacting    . Can't accept attachments for security reasons. Here's how to submit files. ##

Original message headers:

Thursday, May 2, 2019 8:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The NDR message has two part: one part for users and one part for administrators. We only can change the user part.

Here is default NDR message for 5.1.1:

We can use command below to modify the default NDR message(This command is used to modify NDR message for internal users):

New-SystemMessage -DsnCode 5.1.1 -Language en -Internal $true -Text "New NDR"

Here is the result:

If you want to hide administrator for external domain users, you can use command below:

Get-RemoteDomain | Set-RemoteDomain -NDRDiagnosticInfoEnabled $false

Here are all related articles which will be useful to you:

DSNs and NDRs in Exchange 2013 

New-SystemMessage 

Set-RemoteDomain

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by R0w-n Monday, May 6, 2019 12:21 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2019 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I suppose you can have an Out of Office reply message to everyone detailing the conditions for submitting emails to this mailbox. Unfortunately, even if Exchange could write it in the sky in front of exploding fireworks and grandiose cosmic events, end users still won't read it.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

• Edited by Miguel Fra Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:12 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:09 PM
  • Hi,

The NDR message has two part: one part for users and one part for administrators. We only can change the user part.

Here is default NDR message for 5.1.1:

We can use command below to modify the default NDR message(This command is used to modify NDR message for internal users):

New-SystemMessage -DsnCode 5.1.1 -Language en -Internal $true -Text "New NDR"

Here is the result:

If you want to hide administrator for external domain users, you can use command below:

Get-RemoteDomain | Set-RemoteDomain -NDRDiagnosticInfoEnabled $false

Here are all related articles which will be useful to you:

DSNs and NDRs in Exchange 2013 

New-SystemMessage 

Set-RemoteDomain

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by R0w-n Monday, May 6, 2019 12:21 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2019 9:03 AM