none
Staging Document Retention Policies RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if anyone has some good resources on staged retention policies and how they work.  I currently have a list setup with 3 stages of retention policies.  

The first stage is based off of an Expires date column and when the expiration date is surpassed it starts a workflow meant to move any items to an archive list if they do not have a category (custom column) listed as Promotion or Discontinued, and this stage is set to a recurrence of every 1 days.
    The second stage is based off of a Date column (custom created date) that starts a workflow after 1 year has passed from the Date.  The workflow will archive anything that contains a Category of Discontinued with a recurrence of every 1 days.
    The final stage is based off of the Expires column and starts a workflow after 90 days have passed that date.  The workflow moves anything with a category of Promotion and repeats every day.

Now when I look at my List, I have one item as a "General" category and the expiration date set to 5/11/2017.  There is also a column for each of the workflows that start based on the retention.  In the workflow column called "PADiscontinuedArchive" it is listed as "Completed", which is strange because it doesn't have a category of "Discontinued" and it shouldn't be moved by that workflow.  It should have been moved by the PAArchiveAll workflow which is for everything that is not a Promotion or Discontinued.  

Other things I should mention are; the PADiscontinuedArchive workflow was the first retention stage before I modified the retention stages based on what I wrote above.  I have changed the timer jobs to fire off retention stages to every 15 minutes.

Are the other workflows not running because it has been marked as "Completed" from another workflow, and if so is there a way to fix that? Also, will the retention policies fire off in their respective order over the course of 3 days because of how they are set with a recurrence schedule or will the retention policy fire off in 45 minutes or so based on how often the Information Management Policy and Expiration Policy timers are set?

Thank You,
    Trevor Bensen

Monday, May 22, 2017 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If I understand correctly, the “5/11/2017” item should trigger the first stage with the PAArichiveAll workflow. But now the second stage starts, which triggers PADiscontinuedArchive workflow. Am I right?

In order to learn more about your scenario, please provide a screenshot about the retention policy settings.

The Information Management Policy relies on two timer jobs: Information Management Policy and Expiration Policy timer jobs.

Information Management Policy goes through libraries that have policies and figures out if the event portion of the policy is a true condition. If so, it will then set the stage for the second timer job to run against the action portion. The second timer job is Expiration Policy, and that’s what allows the action portion to run.

A post with detailed introduction about Information Management Policy for your reference:

https://sharepointduffbert.com/2014/07/17/using-the-information-management-policy-specifically-the-retention-policy-in-sharepoint-2010/

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Kind of.  The "5/11/2017" item should be affected by the first stage and the workflow PAArchiveAll. After the workflow has finished, it should be moved to the Archive list.  Looking at the list, this item has not been moved at all and it is stating that the PADiscontinuedArchive has "Completed".  This item should be affected by this workflow and it should have been moved with the PAArchiveAll workflow.

Yesterday I moved the PAArchiveAll stage/workflow to the top of the list and removed the PADiscontinuedArchive and its workflow, then recreated them.  I did this in hopes that it would somehow function better, but now it seems as though nothing is working.

Here are the retention policies I have set for this list:

And here is the PAArchiveAll workflow:

How do each of the items get flagged that they have been run and is there a way to reset this indicator, or is it nullified if the retention policies are set to run everytime these timers are initialized?  It seems as though the first time the retention policies ran, it worked fine, and it works on items that haven't been modified, the issues seems to stem from items that have been modified after the first run of the retention policy.  I know I must be doing something wrong, but I'm having a hard time trying to pin point what that is.  Also, it would help if Microsoft had a document of some sorts as to how these retention policy stages seem to run.

Thanks,
    Trevor Bensen

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

After you changed the order of retention policies, please add a new item and run Information Management Policy and Expiration Policy timer job one by one. Then check if PAArchiveAll workflow is triggered.

Waiting for your update.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:11 AM
  • After re-organizing the Retention Policies and removing all of them then recreating them, I created 3 new entries. These entries are as follows:

1. Category = Newsletter, Expires = 5/24/2016
    2. Category = Promotion, Expires = 1/20/2017
    3. Category = Discontinued, Date = 5/20/2016

Once the Information Policy and Expiration Policy were kicked off, I was able to see the Workflows in Progress numbers start to climb, indicating to me the Retention policies were starting the workflows.  Once all the workflows completed, here is what I noticed for each new item.

1. This item was moved to the archive list and deleted from the main list. This was the expected result.
    2. This item was NOT moved to archive and still remains in list.  Retention policy = Expires date +90 days start PAArchive Workflow (PAArchive workflow = CurrentItem Category contains Promotion || Midwest Promotion - Move item to Archive List, then Delete item)
    3. This item was NOT moved to archive and still remains in the list.  Retention policy = Date +1 year start PADiscontinuedArchive Workflow (PADiscontinuedArchive workflow = CurrentItem Category contains Discontinued - Move Item to Archive List, then Delete item)

I re-ran the timer jobs to see if the reason these workflows did not run was due to the staged effect of the retention policies, meaning the secondary PADiscontinuedArchive workflow would not start until after the item was marked as completed from the first stage, but this was not the case.  I'm trying to figure out, is it the workflow that is not operating properly or is it the document retention policy that is not starting the workflow properly?  Is there something set up improperly with the recurrence aspect of the Retention policies?  

Thank You,
    Trevor Bensen

Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please try to check if the needed workflow has triggered. You can select item and click Workflows under FILES tab, see the completed workflows for this item.

If PAArchive workflow has completed but item2 hasn't been moved, it seems that your workflow is not set correctly. You need to test your workflow without retention policy.

If PAArchive workflow hasn’t been triggered, it seems that retention policy has something wrong.

Waiting for your update.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Thursday, June 1, 2017 2:41 AM
  • I've started doing more rigorous testing and tracking everything in an Excel spreadsheet.  My most recent test was as follows:

1. Item Category = Promotion; Date = 1/4/2013; Expiration Date = 6/2/2017.  Looking at the retention policies, the first stage should engage a workflow called PAArchive.  The retention policy is based on the Expires date column and should trigger the workflow after the expiration date exceeds 90 days.  This doesn't appear to be happening.  It instead, seems to skip the first retention stage and continue on to the second stage where it triggers the PADiscontinued workflow and "Completes" it.  It of course doesn't move the item because it does not have a category of Discontinued.

I'm wondering if there is a way to reset the item after an initial pass of the retention policy has gone through and put it back to a status of something along lines of "I'm a new item, please run your retention policies on me."

I'll be doing more testing and let everyone know what I find out.

Thanks,
    Trevor Bensen

Friday, June 2, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Hi,

You need to set recurrence the Information Management Policy, which will be retriggered for the same item.

You can set recurrence > update your item > run two timer jobs, the retention policy will be retriggered.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Monday, June 5, 2017 8:49 AM
  • Is there any documentation as to how exactly the retention policies work?  I've been playing around with the retention policies and changing up which date columns they are based on, and I thought I might be able to learn how they are working, but I think I have confused myself even more.  I know for sure it creates an Expiration Date column that plays into how the retention policy fires of the workflow, but I'm wondering if there is another column that handles which stage the retention policy should be using.

If any one knows of where I can find more information on how the retention policies work, that would be great.  I've checked numerous resources on the Internet and most of them are basic and tell how to set up a retention policy and nothing about finer details.

Thanks,
    Trevor Bensen

Monday, June 12, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Hi Trevor, I am working on something similar for a client.  I found this post enlightening as Dan has worked through recurrence testing:
    http://www.danielroot.info/2012/08/information-management-policy.html

Monday, June 12, 2017 7:37 PM
  • What I have noticed so far with my testing.  There are 3 items I made changes to that have been enacted upon by the retention policy.  I can see from the Expiration date column that has been added by the retention policies all of them have been set to +1 year after the Expire Date column (ex: 3/13/2017 to 3/13/2018). One of the items has the Expiration date set to 6/12/2017 and the workflow associated with the first stage of the policy, Expires +90 days, fires off every time (bc of recurrence set to 0 days) the Information Management and Expiration policies run.  I'm hoping this item is moved to the Archive list based on the workflow that is associated with the policy.  I'll let you know what I find out.

However, there are two items (Expires = 3/13/2017 & 3/1/2017) that should fall under the first stage retention policy, Expires +90 days, and the workflow should move these items to the Archive list.  This is not happening.  It appears as though the retention policies are "skipping" over these items because the Expiration Date column equals 3/13/2018 & 3/1/2018.  I would have thought it would cycle through the first stage of the retention policy because it is supposed to recur every day, but it appears as though it's not going to do anything until the Expiration date is met (3/13/2018 & 3/1/2018).  I'd like to test this out, but there is no way to edit this column.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Trevor Bensen

Monday, June 12, 2017 8:50 PM