none
Nltest /dsregdns: ERROR_NO_LOGON_SERVERS on Domain Controller Server 2016:

Question

• Hello!

We’re updating an 2008r2 DC environment (2 DCs) to 2016 but after installing the new 2016 server and promoted it to Domain Controller we get this error when we run Nltest /dsregdns:
    Flags: 0
    Connection Status = 1311 0x51f ERROR_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
    The command completed successfully

We have transferred the fsmo roles to the 2016 server and demoted and shutdown the old 2008r2 server, installed another 2016 server and promoted it to Doman controller. But when running the Nltest /dsregdns: we get the error on the second DC, if we transfer the PDC to the second DC the Nltest /dsregdns command is Ok on the second (logic), but if we run it on the first DC it will fail again.

We do not see any other errors in the EventViewer.
    We have checked the DNS but can’t see anything wrong, we have tried deletes and let it recreate the DC’s entry’s but it seems not to help, and we can see that the DNS works fine.
    No SPN doublets or mismatches.
    Sites and services look fine.

I got the same problem in my lab VM environment (separated) when I tried to go from 2012r2 to 2016 and the only related thig I can think of is that the two environment is isolated and not connected to internet and Windows is not registered, but we register it in the real environment but it did not help.

Any help is appreciated, I think we have read most of the articles about it but nothing seems to apply.
    Thanks, Peter

Friday, November 10, 2017 1:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

May I ask whether you have tried to point primary DNS to Server2016 DC? Based on my research, the following article may helpful for you:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/259277/troubleshooting-netlogon-event-5774--5775--and-5781

Also, could you please check the events to see if there have other warning and error logs?

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:39 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your support, I’ve checked the link and tried to understand what it was about, checked the system log for 5774, 5775, and 5781 and found 4 entry’s, three 5781 and one 5774 in my lab environment, (I’m not at the customer right now).

The 5774 Error said:
    “The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.labb.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 3268 LabbDC02.labb.com.' failed on the following DNS server: 
    DNS server IP address: ::

Returned Response Code (RCODE): 0

Returned Status Code: 0  For computers and users to locate this domain controller, this record must be registered in DNS. 

USER ACTION 

Determine what might have caused this failure, resolve the problem, and initiate registration of the DNS records by the domain controller. To determine what might have caused this failure, run DCDiag.exe. To learn more about DCDiag.exe, see Help and Support Center. To initiate registration of the DNS records by this domain  controller, run 'nltest.exe /dsregdns' from the command prompt on the domain controller or restart Net Logon service.

Or, you can manually add this record to DNS, but it is not recommended. 

ADDITIONAL DATA

Error Value: Bad DNS packet.

So I checked the “_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.labb.com” in the DNS and found that one of the DC’s was missing so I added it manually. Nothing happened but after a reboot it seems to work a little bit better! Next will be testing this at the customer and see if it helps there as well.

Thanks for the help, I’ll get back and report if this was the problem in the customers environment as well.

Best Regards,
    Peter

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:49 AM