none
New-ComplianceSearch to search all mailboxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

To satisfy a litigation request I have a need to search all mailboxes in the organization for a specific term. I do not want to add any date parameters.  What would the query look like?

New-ComplianceSearch -Name "Search All-Specific Search Term" -ExchangeLocation all -ContentMatchQuery 'specific search term'

Start-ComplianceSearch -Identity "Search All-Specific Search Term"

Is this correct?

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 4:30 PM

Answers

• How can I get around the 500 mailbox limitation, I need to search 800 mailboxes?

You can search *unlimited* number of mailboxes.

The 500 limit is the source mailboxes . i.e. the results. 

You can always break that up into two searches so the results are under that limit

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:57 PM
  • Hi BrueNET,

To check the result, you need to follow the step 2 in the link which is provided by Andy above:

Step 2: Verify the number of source mailboxes in the compliance search

Quote:

To help you create a compliance search with no more than 500 source mailboxes, follow these steps to run a script that displays the number of source mailboxes (that contain search results) returned by the compliance search you created in Step 1.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

To satisfy a litigation request I have a need to search all mailboxes in the organization for a specific term. I do not want to add any date parameters.  What would the query look like?

New-ComplianceSearch -Name "Search All-Specific Search Term" -ExchangeLocation all -ContentMatchQuery 'specific search term'

Is this correct?

Yes, but be aware of the 500 mailbox limitation

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/policy-and-compliance/ediscovery/compliance-search?view=exchserver-2019

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 5:58 PM
  • How can I get around the 500 mailbox limitation, I need to search 800 mailboxes?
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:20 PM

You can search *unlimited* number of mailboxes.

The 500 limit is the source mailboxes . i.e. the results. 

You can always break that up into two searches so the results are under that limit

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:57 PM
  • Understood thank you. Using this search query where will the results extract to?

When will Microsoft offer more robust tools for this type of activity?

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 9:29 PM
  • Hi BrueNET,

To check the result, you need to follow the step 2 in the link which is provided by Andy above:

Step 2: Verify the number of source mailboxes in the compliance search

Quote:

To help you create a compliance search with no more than 500 source mailboxes, follow these steps to run a script that displays the number of source mailboxes (that contain search results) returned by the compliance search you created in Step 1.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 8:28 AM
  • Hi BrueNET,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Friday, July 12, 2019 8:42 AM
  • Thank you for the help, this worked.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 2:02 PM