none
Only show last Major versions? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

A customer has document librarys with major and minor versions, where all authenticated users are allowed to approve documents. Now they want to ensure that users by default gets the last major version when we link to documents in the doc.libs, and not the draft or pending version. How can we achieve this?

Using a view doesn't help, regardless what I filter on, it will only show tha last version of the documents.

The closest I get is to link to the version history page because it gives a good overview of the different versions. But still, there should be a better way?

Thanks in advance!
    jennyfi
    Monday, December 1, 2008 9:31 AM

All replies

• Do you have major and minor versions turned on for your document library?  Do you have document approval set to required?
    - Stan
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:59 PM
  • Assuming the major and minor version are turned on and approval is required, is there a way to provide a view of the current major versions?  I have the same need.   All users have contribute privs and yet need to be able to get a view that would contain only the published (major versions) of the documents within the library.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:59 PM
  • We're in a similar boat:

+ We have a Controlled Doc Library that uses content and approval workflows
    + We have versioning turned on on (major and minor)
    + The entire Org needs the right to both modify and content approve  (but NOT fully control) any doc in the library
    + A very limited number of people need the ability to set the doc to "fully controlled" or "fully approved" once our control process is complete.

Sharepoint is forcing us to make a choice at this point. We can either:

+ Limit the docs so that only authors and a few approvers can see drafts -- with the consequence that we can't use the organization members in the content approval workflows because they can't SEE the drafts. This breaks the content approval process we use--we want anyone in the org to be a potential content approver.
    + Allow everyone to be editors so that they can see the drafts-- with the consequence that the DRAFT document comes up when a doc is under revision when anyone in the organization looks at it. This creates an audit problem--this is a controlled document library and only the Controlled version of a doc (last published major version)  should appear when you link in or search thedocs.

What we need:

+ A way to build a view that shows ONLY the latest published major version, regardless of any draft that is posted. The drafts should be available (via the version list) but the latest published major version should be what shows.
    + A way to make links to docs in the library go to EITHER the latest published major version (for most users) or the latest draft version (for content editors)

Any ideas out there? Sounds like we are not alone in this need.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:18 PM
  • Out of the box its not possible to do what you are trying to achieve. An alernative would be -

You could have 2 document libraries, one for draft docs and another for approved docs. All your users would have edit and approve permissions on the draft doc lib. All users would have read only permission on the approved docs lib.
    Users work in the draft doc library. Once the document is approved, the approval workflow can copy the document to the approved docs library. So the users can view the major approved version of the document in the approved docs lib. You can provide a link from the item in the approved docs library item to the correponding item in the draft docs lib, so they can navigate to the draft doc when they need to edit.

Hope that helps.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:14 AM
  • A collegue to me solved this. Unlike me, he is a developer, and he created a solution based on the idea that he fetched the url to the latest published major version. Then he displayed it in a custom web part.
    jennyfi
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:10 AM
  • Jenny, I would be interested to see how that is working.  It sounds a bit more manual that we would like.  Automatic exchange of information between libraries also does not work really well and does not really meet the need.

I have created a second draft library attempted to share a document between them.  I have the "prompt for update" selected, however, there appears to be an issue relating to the publish a major version.  ie. the prompt for update is set and yet I don't get prompted to perform the update.  In addition this solution attempts to create an excessive exchanges when intermediate update between the two libraries.

The really need here is to allow users to have a library view of the published documents or a view of all documents.

Example of what the Views might show:

All Documents                                      Published Documents

Name         Version     Status                 Name            Version    Status
    Doc1            1.3          Draft                  Doc1               1.0         Approved

Doc2            5.6          Draft                  Doc2               5.0         Approved
    Doc3            2.0          Approved            Doc3               2.0         Approved

Two different views are really needed.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:14 PM
  • Would it be possible to either use workflow for approval or simply add and Approved/Pending column and then filter against this?
    Friday, June 19, 2009 5:59 PM
  • We are using workflows.  The root of the problem is that the All Documents view display the current directory.  The Published Documents view would have to display document that were located in the _vti_history and /or the current directory.  View filtering is post collection not pre-collection.

All Documents                      .../F/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fcomm%2FQM%2FForms%2FQA                    
    Name         Version     Status            (Location)      
    Doc1            1.3          Draft             .../QA/Doc1.  
    Doc2            5.6          Draft             .../QA/Doc2.    
    Doc3            2.0          Approved       .../QA/Doc3.   

Piblished Documents               
    Doc1            1.0          Approved       .../_vti_history/512/.../QA/Doc1.  
    Doc2            5.0          Approved       .../_vti_history/2560/.../QA/Doc2.    

Again try this out...

2 users one with and one without privs

the priv users All Documents view would be

All Documents                      .../F/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fcomm%2FQM%2FForms%2FQA                    
    Doc1            1.3          Draft             .../QA/Doc1.  
    Doc2            5.6          Draft             .../QA/Doc2.    

the un-priv users All Documents view would be

Doc1            1.0          Approved       .../QA/Doc1.  
    Doc2            5.0          Approved       .../QA/Doc2.    

We need a way for the priv user to also see the same view as the un-priv user thus the Published Document view.

having two logins is certainly an option, however, it become a management nightmare when you get above a certain number of users.  a second option is to have a working library and a published library, however, now you have doubled your storage requirements and complicated your document management

justification for this is ISO based.  when a priv user is asked where to find the latested published version, they have to remember to click the Version History menu item from the document dropdown menu.  the cleaner solution is to have a view of Published Documents.

• Proposed as answer by gcook Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:18 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Thanks go out to Stefan Stanev for providing the answer.  See the following blog http://stefan-stanev-sharepoint-blog.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-to-display-all-versions-in.html for how this might be accomplished.

For me it was to add ?IncludeVersions=TRUE&FilterField1=_ModerationStatus&FilterValue1=0&FilterField2=_IsCurrentVersion&FilterValue2=1 to the end of my allitems.aspx view.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Any update for this solution in SP2016?  This option does not work anymore.

It also does not work for my situation, as I have an outside program referencing documents saved in the sharepoint library.   Depending on which userID is logged in, the same link returns the approved version if the person has visitor perms or the draft/pending version if that person has advanced perms (owner, approver, member) permission group.

I agree this is an ISO need to have a view filter option and a url suffix &Approved or similar.

Filtering the view on Approved hides the active document from visitors/users as soon as it is checked out as there is only a single status for the library record.

It would also be nice if the workflow start option has a 'start on check in' choice instead of every save.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:38 PM