none
Call forwarding from Common Area Phone to user's voicemail (direct) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We have a somewhat unusual situation in our Lync Enterprise Voice deployment where we have to provide a telephony service only to some users, and for whom we don't want to move their OCS accounts across to Lync (political reasons).

We've decided these users will receive an IP phone, logged on with a Common Area Account. This works fine, but of course it's not possible to attach a voicemail service to a CAP. These users do however have Exchange 2010 UM/voicemail capable mailboxes which we can enable for them.

Using the SEFAUtil resource kit utility, I've then tested the scenario of configuring call forwarding from the CAP account (after a 30 second delay) to the user's SIP address for which they have an Exchange UM enabled account. The problem is that when that user account is logged into OCS, their OCS client insists on trying to take the call first, only after the call times out does it hit the user's voicemail. If the user isn't logged into OCS, it works fine, and the call gets routed straight to voicemail.

Question: Should it be possible to try and configure SEFAUtil and call forwarding to dial the user's voicemail directly, and not ring their OCS client first? I've tried appending the ;opaque=app:voicemail string on the end of the forwarding address... but no luck.

SEFAUtil.exe /server:frontend.domain.local sip:[CAP]@domain.com /enablefwdnoanswer /callanswerwaittime:30 /setfwddestination:[UMUser]@domain.com;opaque=app:voicemail

Has anyone ever tried to achieve this or a similar outcome via call forwarding and/or SEFAUtil?

Thanks. James.

James Frost

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,James,

I have no Common Area phone in hand and cannot reproduce the issue as you,I will do further research and involve  Microsoft guys in this thread,hope you will get some useful information.

Also resource kit tool SEFAUtil is a UCMA application,I suggest you post this question on MSDN UC forum where lots of developping experts reside there.

B/R

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:54 AM
  • How about forwarding to a Response Group which immediately overflows to an Exchange UM enabled account? This might work although I have not tested this. Also, if you have lots of accounts this might not be a manageable approach.
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:19 PM
  • This is a very old topic but is it still not possible to have voicemail with common area phone - we're considering sharing phones between two (don't ask!) but voicemail would be useful.
    Friday, December 14, 2018 7:22 PM
  • Or can you configure a common area phone to divert to somebody else if not answered?
    Friday, December 14, 2018 7:22 PM