none
Unable to download existing lync topology RRS feed

• Question

• Any help on the below issue would be appreciated

When trying to download existing topology i get this error:

However when i issue at the cmd promt nltest /dsgetdc:eyiam.net i get a set of results returned suggesting that the server is connected to the domain.

When i issue the powershell cmd get-csaddomain i get this error (on screen error points to this output file on the server)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

- <CsMgmtLog Name="get-csaddomain">

- <Action Name="Get Domain State" Time="2011-09-21 15:06:23Z">

- <Exception Type="ApplicationException" Time="2011-09-21 15:06:24Z" Message="Cannot find any domain controllers in domain "eyiam.net".">

<StackTrace Time="2011-09-21 15:06:24Z">at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.Connection.DirectoryServicesTopologyProvider.FindDomainController(Domain domain, String site, NetworkCredential credential) at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.Connection.DirectoryServicesTopologyProvider.FindDomainController(Domain domain, String site, NetworkCredential credential) at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.Connection.DirectoryServicesTopologyProvider.GetDCForDomain(String fqdn, NetworkCredential networkCredential) at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.Connection.DirectoryServicesTopologyProvider.DiscoverDC() at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.Connection.DirectoryServicesTopologyProvider..ctor() at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.Connection.TopologyProvider.InitializeInstance() at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.Connection.TopologyProvider.GetInstance() at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.Session.ADSession.GetConfigurationNamingContext() at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Deployment.Core.DeploymentCommon.GetDomainPartitions(DeploymentContext context, QueryFilter userFilter) at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Deployment.Core.DeploymentCommon.FindDomainPartitionByFqdn(DeploymentContext context, String domainFqdn) at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Deployment.Domain.Init() at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Deployment.Domain..ctor(DeploymentContext context, String domainFqdn, String groupDomainFqdn) at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Deployment.Tasks.DomainStateCheckTask.Action() at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Internal.Utilities.LogWriter.InvokeAndLog(Action action)</StackTrace>

- <Exception Type="ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException" Time="2011-09-21 15:06:24Z" Message="Domain controller not found in the domain "eyiam.net".">

<StackTrace Time="2011-09-21 15:06:24Z">at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DomainController.FindOneInternal(DirectoryContext context, String domainName, String siteName, LocatorOptions flag) at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.Connection.DirectoryServicesTopologyProvider.FindDomainController(Domain domain, String site, NetworkCredential credential)</StackTrace>

</Exception>

</Exception>

<Complete Time="2011-09-21 15:06:24Z" />

</Action>

<Error Time="2011-09-21 15:06:24Z">An error occurred: "System.ApplicationException" "Cannot find any domain controllers in domain "eyiam.net"."</Error>

</CsMgmtLog>

• Edited by c_rae Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:12 PM

Answers

• what about your DNS settings on the lync server network card, can you please verify if they are set properly,

moreover can you please try to install the toplogy builder on a different x64 machine and try to download the toplogy from there ?

regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    • Marked as answer by c_rae Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:32 PM

All replies

• You will not be able to download the topology if domaincontroller is not available/not running. you pretty sure it is?

If this post answered your question, Mark this post As Answer http://windowspbx.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:19 PM
  • As sure as i can be yes....here are the things i have tried, is there any other ways to test its avaialble/running? 

1) Open AD Users and computers and view the properties of an object, plus i created a new test user object

2) Issue the cmd nltest /dsgetdc:eyiam.net

Here are the results (with server and ip address changed)

DC: \\server.eyiam.net
          Address: \\1.1.1.1

Dom Guid: cbc140c6-f50c-4af0-8c8a-b68fe1d0e1a7
         Dom Name: eyiam.net
      Forest Name: eyiam.net
     Dc Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
    Our Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
            Flags: PDC GC DS LDAP KDC TIMESERV GTIMESERV WRITABLE DNS_DC DNS_DOMAIN
    DNS_FOREST CLOSE_SITE FULL_SECRET
    The command completed successfully

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:29 PM
  • no, you need to ping DC ip adress. ;-)

DC running or no nltest will return that.

hmm, but activedirectory users should not work...

If this post answered your question, Mark this post As Answer http://windowspbx.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:34 PM
  • DC is pingable on both ip and host name.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:03 PM
  • now i'm shooting in the dark, but :

-are all your Lync services running?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:06 PM
  • yep all services running ok, and client functionality all appears to be ok.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:16 PM
  • what about your DNS settings on the lync server network card, can you please verify if they are set properly,

moreover can you please try to install the toplogy builder on a different x64 machine and try to download the toplogy from there ?

regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    • Marked as answer by c_rae Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:32 PM
  • thanks....yep that was it

i removed an IP address that i did not recognise as a DNS server from the Alternate DNS server field, plus i removed a domain from the DNS suffix list that was not relevant.  As soon as those changes were made, that fixed the issue.

However the very odd thing is that when i added them back in i could no longer reproduce the issue, also i don;t think it could be dns cache related as i had previously restart both the server and dns client service. 

Also just for reference this is a lab setup, we're yet to roll this out to production.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Hi All,

I faced the same issue when I was migrating from Lync 2010 to Lync 2013 and getting Topology download error. Actually my Lync 2010 was on Windows 2008 R2 and the new servers were on Windows 2012 R2.

Solution : I enabled the SSL and disabled TLS from regedit on Windows 2012 and then I was able to download the topology.

• Proposed as answer by Vivek_Vardhan Monday, April 9, 2018 6:24 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 6:24 AM