none
SharePoint 2010 Retention Policy Activation Issue? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have constructed a workflow and created retention policies for my library to trigger this workflow.  I have attempted to activate the workflow through creating a doc, declaring a record, etc. I have also tried setting the retention policies to activate and/or repeat on a daily basis.

I was informed that I should change my timer jops from the default to daily OR hourly to see these Retention policies run quicker. I submitted a request through our Help Desk to Microsoft to change the Timer Jobs, but it was denied. Basically, their response was that they have chosen to leave SharePoint 2010 at its default settings for maximum optimization.  I would think lowering the Timer Jobs would increase optomization, but maybe I am wrong.

Anyhow, I have waited over 2 weeks, and have not seen any of my Retention policies activated. I have tried all scenarios. 

My question is; If the IMP and Expiration Timer Jobs are set to weekly, will any of my retention policies run if I set them to activate and/or repeat in 7 days or more? 

Like I said, I have not seen any activate and it has been over 2 weeks.  I have a limited amount of time in this position and need to see that these policies run correctly to activate and repeat my workflow, otherwise I must look for another solution.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Jerry

Monday, June 25, 2012 2:41 PM

All replies

• Also,

Are there any other variables that maybe playing a role in my set Polices lack of performance?

Does the library and/or documents have to be checked in for it to work?

If there are more than one policy that run congruently, will this effect anything?

Thanks.

Jerry

Monday, June 25, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Hi Jerrry,

My understanding is the following:

The Expiration Policy Enumerates list items and looks for those with an expiration date that has already occurred. For those items, runs disposition processing. Disposition processing most often results in deleting items, but it can perform other actions, such as processing disposition workflows.

The Information Management Policy Loops through all the lists in the site collections in a Web application and collects policy and usage data.

The disposition processing is what actually "deletes" the file.

I have a few question however:

• Are you not seeing any files being deleted?
    • How you attempted applying a retention policty to other sites?
    • Do these files have any active workflows on them?
    • Do you see anything in ULS once you run both timer jobs?

-jwalk

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:44 PM