Windows Server 2012 Trail Version Installation - Licensing Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I have dowloaded the Server 2012 Evaluation iso.  I am installing it on a VMWare Player VM.  At the beginning of the installation, I receive the following error; "Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms.  Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation"  I did not use a Product Key during the creation of the VM.  I have tried 2 additional iso images I downloaded from Technet but I get the same error.  Also, how would I get a Product Key for thei Trial Version  to add to my VM deployment.  Thanks  Soliciting all suggestions/comments  Thanks

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The eval key is listed in the MultiPoint Server 2012 download center article at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35821. Here are the relevant sections

Install
    Start the computer on which you are installing MultiPoint Server using the DVD, and then install WMS 2012 as you would install Windows Server 2012, selecting the appropriate partition on which to install and answering typical installation questions. When you are prompted for a product key, type the following:
    YNPVP-2H2HY-HP227-C2KRB-VQTCJ

IMPORTANT:
    You have an initial 60 days to evaluate this software.  The premium evaluation version can be turned into a full production version by entering in your purchased key or VL agreement, so there is no need for re-installation.  Note: If you wish to go to the standard version, a reinstallation is necessary.

The 60-day evaluation period may be reset (re-armed) three times. This action extends the original 60-day evaluation period by up to 180 days for a total possible evaluation time of 240 days.

If you wish to extend the evaluation period, follow the instructions below.

How to manually rearm the 60 day activation grace period

When the initial 60-day activation period nears its end, you can run the Slmgr.vbs script to reset it back to 60 days. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Command Prompt.
    • Type slmgr.vbs -dli, and then press ENTER to check the current status of your activation period.
    • To reset the activation period, type slmgr.vbs -rearm, and then press ENTER.
    • Restart the computer.
    This resets the activation period to 60 days, and can be used up to three times. After this you will need to either activate or reinstall the evaluation.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:08 PM

All replies

• After Downloading, you get an key for 180 days:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35821

Regards

Hubert

• Proposed as answer by HZets.net Monday, December 10, 2012 9:28 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

The eval key is listed in the MultiPoint Server 2012 download center article at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35821. Here are the relevant sections

Install
    Start the computer on which you are installing MultiPoint Server using the DVD, and then install WMS 2012 as you would install Windows Server 2012, selecting the appropriate partition on which to install and answering typical installation questions. When you are prompted for a product key, type the following:
    YNPVP-2H2HY-HP227-C2KRB-VQTCJ

IMPORTANT:
    You have an initial 60 days to evaluate this software.  The premium evaluation version can be turned into a full production version by entering in your purchased key or VL agreement, so there is no need for re-installation.  Note: If you wish to go to the standard version, a reinstallation is necessary.

The 60-day evaluation period may be reset (re-armed) three times. This action extends the original 60-day evaluation period by up to 180 days for a total possible evaluation time of 240 days.

If you wish to extend the evaluation period, follow the instructions below.

How to manually rearm the 60 day activation grace period

When the initial 60-day activation period nears its end, you can run the Slmgr.vbs script to reset it back to 60 days. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Command Prompt.
    • Type slmgr.vbs -dli, and then press ENTER to check the current status of your activation period.
    • To reset the activation period, type slmgr.vbs -rearm, and then press ENTER.
    • Restart the computer.
    This resets the activation period to 60 days, and can be used up to three times. After this you will need to either activate or reinstall the evaluation.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:08 PM
  • I have a similar setup. I have installed the WMS on a virtual machine successfully using the trial key provided with the download. My problem now is I cannot seem to connect to the WMS using remote desktop. I get licensing error when I tried to connect. Is there a trial CAL I need to install?

Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Could you include a screenshot of the licensing error you mention? It is not expected.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:18 AM
  • I have downloaded the iso of multipoint server 2012. but during the installlation time it prompts for activation key. I have tried YNPVP-2H2HY-HP227-C2KRB-VQTCJ this installation key too. but it is showing "we couldnt verify the product key". so can i get a solution on it. Atleast will i get the evaluation version to used to of this os.

thanking you

Sunday, July 14, 2013 10:06 AM
  • I am having the same problem, why isn't there very clear step by steps on how to make this product work? MSFT works so hard to make this and then no step by step... I couldn't even find the WMSM - I had to dig it out of file explorer. So right now, I'm dead in the water with this product
    Monday, August 12, 2013 1:17 AM
  • I am also experiencing this issue.

It seemed to install ok the first time without a key. however I wanted to delete it and follow the msca guides to installing and configuring.

Now I am getting this message. If I use the key above it says there are no images available.

If I don't use the key I get the windows cannot find the Microsoft license terms error.

I am using the - 9200.16384.WIN8_RTM.120725-1247_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-HRM_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5.iso

• Edited by Drewidd Friday, November 15, 2013 2:16 AM
    • Proposed as answer by KJSTech1 Saturday, January 4, 2014 11:04 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KJSTech1 Saturday, January 4, 2014 11:04 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 1:54 AM
  • Did you ever get an answer to this??? I have the same problem.. I am not trying to install multipoint server.. just server 2012 R2.. any thoughts on how to get past this issue??

aero31

Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Hi, I have the same problem.  I want to evaluate and learn 2012 R2 in VMWare workstation 10.  I understand its a time limited trial but that is ok for my learning exercise.

However there is no place to enter a trial key.  The only question it asks is what edition Standard core or GUI or Datacenter core or GUI.  As soon as I make that selection the same error message that Drewidd posted pops up.  As soon as I click OK, the VM reboots.

Saturday, January 4, 2014 10:53 PM
  • Ah I figured out my issue.  VMWare workstation adds an unattended setup answer file to its virtual floppy drive.  Make sure you edit the VM and remove the floppy drive so it cannot do that.  Now setup proceeds as expected.
    Saturday, January 4, 2014 10:59 PM
  • Just go to already created VM and and remove the floppy drive, everything will be okay.

TechInfo Blog-WordPress, Technology Updates, Latest Tech News, Mobiles, Gadgets, Gaming, iPhone, Web 2.0 Discussion, Gadget Prices in India.
    TechnoHub-Interview Questions and Answers

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:13 AM
  • Hello

I have this eval version 9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-IRM_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5.

I want install it in a Dell server and received this error: Windows can not find Microsoft Software License Terms.

My Dell server is Quad Core with 20 GB memory

thanks

Monday, February 3, 2014 8:57 PM
  • This forum is specifically for questions around Windows MultiPoint Server - if you are having issues licensing a trial version of Windows Server 2012 R2, please post your question on the server forum here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserver8gen&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

or here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserver8setup&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:52 PM