Creating templates - hide headers/footers/other document elements (e.g. text etc) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I have templates for reports I use when working for clients, which sometimes requires to include in the headers and footers some personal information, etc.  I need to be able to exclude my staff from accessing this due to them being on different levels of security clearance, etc.  How can I do this - easily?!  

The reports have headers, footers and also some non-header/footer standard pieces of text (which I could convert into a text box or table if necessary) - how can I hide these from the staff?  

I want to be able to just use the one document for both of us (there can usually be 2 of us working towards producing one document file) instead of them contributing their part and then me having to cut and paste this in later.  It's actually a hassle having to do this.  It would be better if we could all work on the one file, but with my ability of being able to hide the sensitive information from them so that when I then send the document back to the client they are able to see all included info.  Is there a way?!  

I hope this is clear! 

Thanks,

FP 

Monday, June 5, 2017 12:55 PM

All replies

• Do you mean ms word templates? Could you provide some screen clips to clarify the question?

-FranklinJ

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hi FranklinJ 

Thanks for replying! I have put in a little screenshot of what I mean.  I can't attach the original for security purposes! 

But this is an example of what I mean, to include footers also. 

I am using MS Word 2013. 

I wondered if I can make it so all headers & footers and some of the text within the document can be "hidden" and NEVER be able to be seen by other staff I have working for me.  I need it to be kept very confidential - and perhaps make it into a MS Word template as opposed to a normal doc you can just edit - but this is not really essential.  

Thanks in advance, 

FP 

• Edited by Frecklepaw Tuesday, June 6, 2017 6:46 PM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 6:44 PM
  • Hi FP,

To my knowledge, we can restrict users from editing parts of a Word documents, however, there is no option available to prevent users from viewing parts of the documents.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:26 AM
  • Hi Steve, 

Thanks for replying. 

I had thought there may be a way to "switch off" or "hide" or even blank out temporarily - somehow - parts of the document I needed, e.g. the headers or specific areas of body text and restrict the other users from editing (and, essentially, viewing) it/them.  

Is this really not possible?  No workaround for this?  

If anyone knows of any way this would be useful for me to know, as I have to keep continually cutting and pasting bits between documents (which is making me lose my hair at a rapid rate! :) 

Thanks again, 

FP 

Thursday, June 15, 2017 8:30 AM
  • Thank you FP for the update. I'm not sure whether your request is possible via some third-party tools, however, to my knowledge, this is not possible via Word build-in options. We can hide some text in a word document easily but when you send the documents to others, the users can also easily view and print the hidden text in the document.

I'm afraid the best solution is what you are using now: remove all the information you want to hide as a last step before distributing your document. You could simplify and automate the process by recording a macro. See:

https://word.tips.net/T000625_Protecting_Hidden_Text.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, July 7, 2017 9:43 AM
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:34 AM
  • Hi Steve, 

That's really handy to know - is there a way that I can put all the "hidden text" back again once they send the document (with their amendments) back to me?  

FP 

Monday, June 19, 2017 5:27 PM
  • Hi FP,

Do you mean put those information you have removed back to the document? If so, you may also consider to do it via a macro.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Yes - exactly.  

What type of macro would I need? 

FP 

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 9:19 AM
  • It would depend on whether the information you want to remove are in the same paragraph or in different paragraphs as sentences. Since we are not the best resource for coding, I'd recommend you post your macro request to the Word for Developers forum to get further assistance:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=worddev

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 9:29 AM