Outlook 2010 Multiple Accounts RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully created a new accountin Outlook 2010 and the Contacts (Address Book) are the same for both accounts.

My question is :-

When I delete the original account will my "Contacts" remain with the new account?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:03 PM

Answers

• It's better to be sure ;-)
    To see which account types you have configured use;
    File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings...-> tab E-mail

When you select an account, you can see the storage location at the bottom. If this is an ost-file, then it will be removed when you remove the account. In that case you'll indeed have to export/copy any data that you'd like to keep to a pst-file first.

If you delete an IMAP account, then the pst-file will be removed as well, but as long as you have a backup copy of that, you can open it within Outlook via;
    File-> Open-> Open Outlook Data File...

This is not possible with ost-files.

For more information about backing up, exporting and restoring your Outlook data see;
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Monday, November 14, 2011 2:56 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:22 PM

All replies

• Hi

You didnt inform which type of email account configured in your outlook profile, but i'm giving an idea...

If you have two email account on the same outlook profile, Both the accounts have individual contacts folders.

Before removing, make sure in which account contacts folder, your save contacts resides and remove as you wish.

Before removing, export the contacts as pst file, where you can import it, if you want it later.

Thank you

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Are these perhaps POP3 or IMAP accounts?

In those cases, you'll only have a single Contacts folder in your main pst-file file. Deleting any of the accounts will in that case not delete your Contacts folder.

Hotmail and Exchange account have their own Contacts folders and sync them with the mail server. Deleting any of these accounts will still keep them on the server. You can export them or move them to a Contacts folder within a pst-file if you want to keep the contacts but remove the accounts.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Thankyou Rajkumar and Roady,

I believe I have set up Pop 3 and IMAP accounts, but it becomes a little more complex.

The original emails are on a work (not personal) server and I believe they use Exchange. I have configured the new email accounts on both an iPad2 and iPhone, which are owned privately. I am about to retire so the original email account will cease to exist. Does that mean I will have to get the .pst file exported to a file on a disk or memory stick?

Thanks.

ls800
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:48 PM
  • It's better to be sure ;-)
    To see which account types you have configured use;
    File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings...-> tab E-mail

When you select an account, you can see the storage location at the bottom. If this is an ost-file, then it will be removed when you remove the account. In that case you'll indeed have to export/copy any data that you'd like to keep to a pst-file first.

If you delete an IMAP account, then the pst-file will be removed as well, but as long as you have a backup copy of that, you can open it within Outlook via;
    File-> Open-> Open Outlook Data File...

This is not possible with ost-files.

For more information about backing up, exporting and restoring your Outlook data see;
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

• Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Monday, November 14, 2011 2:56 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:22 PM