none
Attachment Recent Items in Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user using Outlook 2016 client (Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus). When he creates a new email and attach a file and views the "Recent Items" the only items he can view are the ones coming from the OneDrive.  The recent items doesn't change and it seemed stuck. It will show "Updating" on the upper right of the drop down when you click the Attach a File, but then it doesn't update, it keeps going back to the OneDrive files.  Normally, the default is the local drive where all the recent items resides.  This time, it doesn't go there at all.  It displays the 12 recent item files coming from the OneDrive path...  The user can still use the manual attachment by browsing to his computer and attaching the file and can send it.  However, when he goes back to his recent items, there is no trail that he sent that new item.  All he sees are the files from the OneDrive or Web Locations which the user claimed that he never used those locations before.  Things that I've done but didn't work:

-created a new profile

-repaired Office 365 Online

-logged in to a different computer and setup a new Outlook client.

-sfc/ scannow for Windows 7

I would really appreciate it if you have any information on how to fix this problem.  So far, this is only happening to one user.

Thanks.

Alopez

• Moved by Steve FanModerator Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:09 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 7:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve, 

I've read some articles online about your suggestions, but didn't try it.  Microsoft Tech had also assisted by moving the user's mailbox to a different database and that didn't work either.

Then, I tried to explore more by creating a new Windows profile instead (since this is also related to Window 7 recent items caching that Outlook is not able to read) and that seemed to work.  The user can now attach new items and Outlook is able to retain those recent items as well as pushing those other items (OneDrive) down as the user attach more files.

Thanks. 

Alopez

• Marked as answer by ITGeek_AL Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:26 PM
    • Edited by ITGeek_AL Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:27 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What if we try creating the following registry key to disable the Recent Items feature in Outlook and then delete the registry key to enable it again?

(Important Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.)

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
    Value name: MaxAttachmentMenuItems
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:24 AM
  • Hi Steve, 

I've read some articles online about your suggestions, but didn't try it.  Microsoft Tech had also assisted by moving the user's mailbox to a different database and that didn't work either.

Then, I tried to explore more by creating a new Windows profile instead (since this is also related to Window 7 recent items caching that Outlook is not able to read) and that seemed to work.  The user can now attach new items and Outlook is able to retain those recent items as well as pushing those other items (OneDrive) down as the user attach more files.

Thanks. 

Alopez

• Marked as answer by ITGeek_AL Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:26 PM
    • Edited by ITGeek_AL Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:27 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:26 PM
  • Good to hear that! But what puzzles me is why it doesn't work when logged in to a different computer while a new Windows profile works. Anyway, problem resolved :-)

Cheers,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 1:49 AM