none
What is the bandwidth required for the maximum effectiveness of O-365? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the bandwidth required for the maximum effectiveness of O-365?

I am assuming we are using Team with real time services such as audio, video,... and non real time services such as outlook and sharepoint, IM,...

What is the ideal latency threshold for O365 to be effective?  both minimum and optimal?

dsk

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi dsk,

Since this forum focuses more on questions related to Office desktop applications, if you need further assistance on this problem, I'd recommend you post a new question to the following forums: Office 365 for Admins forum or Office 365 Networking. You may get more helpful replies there.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thanks for your kind understanding.

It's hard to say because these are many factors that affect network performance:

Bandwidth and latency are the two most important measures of network performance:

• Bandwidth is the rate of throughput measured in bits per second. Bigger is better. Bandwidth is like a water pipe. The larger the pipe, the more water that you can "put through" it.
    • Latency is the time it takes for content to get from a server or service to your device and is measured in milliseconds. Faster is better. Latency can be caused by a number of factors including low bandwidth, a sparse connection, or transmission time.

Best thing you can do here is use the Teams Calculator that is the top service in terms of bandwidth consumption. I also recommend you to check the following information: Network planning and performance tuning for Office 365Office 365 Network Connectivity Principles and Calculating Bandwidth.

Microsoft released a tool to help with the performance assessment of Office 365  which you can find here: Office 365 Network Onboarding tool. Now this tool is initially aimed at locating the closest Service Front Door for Office 365 to help with guidance on how traffic should flow.

Reference: Use the Network Planner for Microsoft TeamsBest practices for using Office 365 on a slow network.

Any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 3:07 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the replies are helpful to this question, please remember to mark them as answers. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, March 26, 2020 10:31 AM