none
Cannot open office files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have the following problem.

If i open a word file from a document library with IE11 (32bit, ActiveX enabled), first try opens the file direct in word but write-protected. If i click on the yellow bar in word (Enable editing), i always get the response:

Every second time when i click on the file in sharepoint, i get the following message in IE:

In this case when i open the file i can enable the edit mode in Word/Excel with no problem.

It seems there is a problem with ActiveX (SharePoint OpenDocument.dll) with the latest Office 2016 updates.

System:

• SharePoint 2013 On premise
    • Office 365 (Word/Excel 2016 client apps on client machines) 32Bit
    • IE11 (32Bit)

Already tried:

• Clearing all caches (IE, Office, Upload Center)
    • Resetting IE
    • Enable/disable Office-ActiveX in IE11

This behaviour occured recentyl with an Office update, i think. Before the last updates, everthing worked fine.

Any suggestions to solve this problem?

Thursday, March 28, 2019 3:27 PM

All replies

• Is KB4489899 applied to the client machine? If so, remove it and try again.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, March 28, 2019 3:34 PM
  • Hi,

We also have the same problem. We have Office 2016 on Prem. Otherwise the same system. 
    We have Window 10, some versions (1703, 1709 and 1803) all with the same problem.

Above problem is when we have Version history on a Document Library. Does not happen for all documents in the same Document Library.

When add CheckOut Required, we don't get the choose CheckOut when opening the file and below message appears 

As we understand this is a security patch that you recommend we remove, which is not acceptable for client responible on our company.

Friday, March 29, 2019 8:09 AM
  • Hi, Thomas,

Please mark it as answer if you find the reply is helpful. It will help other community members to find the solution.

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, March 29, 2019 9:29 AM
  • This is not possible in our company. Updates are controlled via Software-Center and security updates will not be removed.
    Friday, March 29, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Then you're out of luck as the only workaround provided so far is to remove the KB. Alternatively, you can wait for a patch to resolve the issue. I'd recommend you open a case with PSS so you can find out if there is any updated schedule for a fix. This may also give you the ammo to roll back the patch as clearly this has a significant business impact, which is something IT security needs to take into account.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, March 29, 2019 2:30 PM