50% CPU usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Even with all add-ins disabled, OUTLOOK.EXE is at a steady 50% cpu usage. Do you all find the same thing? Any way to solve this? Thanks! Daniel
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Everyone. My two cents after working with it, the cause in my system for the CPU usage was configuring an internet calendar (using a Yahoo account like I do on my iPhone). I never got a response from the calendaring server and that was causing outlook to continue searching or something. As soon as I deleted the configuration the CPU use went back down.

Regards -- D
    • Proposed as answer by beneuto Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Wolters Monday, August 30, 2010 7:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan, got the same problem here. Tried different things like, disabling Add-Ins - but didn't work out for me. Anyone else who got that problem or knows how to resolve it? Thanks for your help! Sincerely yours, TheCleric
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 12:24 AM
  • Does it happen if you start Outlook in Safe mode by holding down the Ctrl key?

Simon Jones
    PC Pro Magazine
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:53 AM
  • Hi Simon,

even starting in the safe mode, the cpu usage is still >50%?!

Any idea?

Thanks!
    TheCleric

P.S.: I am running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on a HP TX2(AMD Turion X2, 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM)
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:01 AM
  • I probably have a more complicated set up (running 2010 under Win 7 Home/Parallels 5, all on a quad core i7). I'm running iStat to monitor performance. 

Outlook send/receive behaves well for a while when it is opened. After it's been open a little while,  a send/receive will spike one core to 100% usage and send/receive will hang. I have to close and reopen Outlook, then manually send/receive. Canceling the send/receive will cause usage to decrease, but only until the next send/receive. 

I'm constantly exiting the program and reopening. Have considered turning off the automatic send receive.  

It doesn't seem to matter whether or not Outlook is the only program running on the PC side. Because of the issue, I try not to run other Windows programs. 

Wish we'd hear some feed back on this issue. --GJ

Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Hi Everyone. My two cents after working with it, the cause in my system for the CPU usage was configuring an internet calendar (using a Yahoo account like I do on my iPhone). I never got a response from the calendaring server and that was causing outlook to continue searching or something. As soon as I deleted the configuration the CPU use went back down.

Regards -- D
    • Proposed as answer by beneuto Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Wolters Monday, August 30, 2010 7:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Bingo, deleting the internet calendar solved it for me too.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:01 AM