none
How to disable Excel 2010 File "Info" Menu

Question

• In Excel 2007 the most recent files list would show up when the File button was selected.  In Excel 2010 this has been replaced by a very nice "Info" screen that has no value to us whatsoever.

Is there a way to disable this Info screen on the File menu?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:22 PM

Answers

• I'd say don't bother to disable it, but simply change the way you work (slightly!).

Add "open recent files" to the quick access toolbar and then, instead of clicking file, click the small icon in the access bar. The reason I'd strongly advice in favor of this course of action is that the 'info screen' can often be very useful (in my opinion and depending on the way you work of course).

Now, how to add the 'open recent files' icon:

• Right click on the quick access bar (top left, next to the Excel icon) and select "Edit access bar" (or something similiar; I'm on a non-English version so can't recite it exactly). OR click the arrow behind the quick access toolbar and select the "more options" or "more commands" at the bottom.
    • Now you'll end up in the "popular commands" section, if not use the pull down menu to select it.
    • You'll see 2 windows with an "add" and "remove" button in between. In the window to your left look for the option "open recent files".
    • Select it, then click "add".
    • Optionally change its location by selecting it in the right window and by using the up/down arrows you see at the right side of the right sided window.

As said, this approach does requires to change your work flow a little. Instead of clicking 'File' simply click on the small quick access icon. That will bring you straight to the recent files.

While this behavior can be easily changed I'm personally not very fond of that. Because what will happen when you actually do need to quickly access the info screen?  I became quite fond of the "check for problems" option and I'm also heavily using the document properties (stuff like a document title and such) because that can really help you with (for example) finding your documents again (Windows 7 is capable of accessing the properties of an Office 2010 document and can also use those for searches).

Hope this helps too!

With kind regards, Peter
    • Edited by ShelLuser Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sparrows Dream Monday, November 14, 2011 5:49 PM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:20 AM

All replies

• Install the following add-in: NoInfo Add-In

The code is:

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui">
    <!-- Disable Info Tab in Backstage View by Alexandru Dionisie -->
     <backstage>
            <tab idMso="TabInfo" visible="false"/>
    </backstage>
    </customUI>

That Add-In has a modified File menu, using CustomUI Editor.

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:46 AM
  • I'd say don't bother to disable it, but simply change the way you work (slightly!).

Add "open recent files" to the quick access toolbar and then, instead of clicking file, click the small icon in the access bar. The reason I'd strongly advice in favor of this course of action is that the 'info screen' can often be very useful (in my opinion and depending on the way you work of course).

Now, how to add the 'open recent files' icon:

• Right click on the quick access bar (top left, next to the Excel icon) and select "Edit access bar" (or something similiar; I'm on a non-English version so can't recite it exactly). OR click the arrow behind the quick access toolbar and select the "more options" or "more commands" at the bottom.
    • Now you'll end up in the "popular commands" section, if not use the pull down menu to select it.
    • You'll see 2 windows with an "add" and "remove" button in between. In the window to your left look for the option "open recent files".
    • Select it, then click "add".
    • Optionally change its location by selecting it in the right window and by using the up/down arrows you see at the right side of the right sided window.

As said, this approach does requires to change your work flow a little. Instead of clicking 'File' simply click on the small quick access icon. That will bring you straight to the recent files.

While this behavior can be easily changed I'm personally not very fond of that. Because what will happen when you actually do need to quickly access the info screen?  I became quite fond of the "check for problems" option and I'm also heavily using the document properties (stuff like a document title and such) because that can really help you with (for example) finding your documents again (Windows 7 is capable of accessing the properties of an Office 2010 document and can also use those for searches).

Hope this helps too!

With kind regards, Peter
    • Edited by ShelLuser Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sparrows Dream Monday, November 14, 2011 5:49 PM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Thanks guys, both answers were very helpful.

It took me a while to get to Excel 2010 (very limited new versions at UC where I work) and I always find that I need to change the way I work to accomodate changes.  Some good, some frustrating - all soon forgotten once I get back up to speed.

Thanks, Mark

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:51 PM