none
Accepting shared calendar invitation crashes Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client site that was just migrated to Office 365. Users are using Office 2013.

The manager has shared his calendar with a few employees. The employees receive the email invitation but when they click to accept the invitation it just sits and spins and freezes up Outlook so you have to forcibly close it.

Any idea why and what to do to fix it?

One other note. Their only DC crashed and there was no backup. So the PCs are domain joined but there's no DC. Unfortunately we were only hired as part time consultants as they had someone onsite who did most of their tech work.

Would not having a DC have anything to do with Outlook crashing when trying to accept an O365 calendar sharing invite? I don't think so but I'd like to hear from others.

Jonathan

Friday, August 21, 2015 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonathan,

Is there anything logged in Event Viewer about the Outlook crashing?

Have you tried logging onto OWA and then check if the issue continues over there?

In addition, we can also try sharing the calendar via granting permissions directly to the users. To do this, right-click on the manager's calendar, select Properties > Permissions tab. Then, click Add button to add the users with proper permissions. After that, have those users open the shared calendar via Home tab > Open Calendar > Open Shared Calendar.

I'm not sure if this issue has anything to do with the DC crashing, you can testing this issue within a non-domain joined computer to verify this.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:21 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Is there anything logged in Event Viewer about the Outlook crashing?

Have you tried logging onto OWA and then check if the issue continues over there?

In addition, we can also try sharing the calendar via granting permissions directly to the users. To do this, right-click on the manager's calendar, select Properties > Permissions tab. Then, click Add button to add the users with proper permissions. After that, have those users open the shared calendar via Home tab > Open Calendar > Open Shared Calendar.

I'm not sure if this issue has anything to do with the DC crashing, you can testing this issue within a non-domain joined computer to verify this.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

I didn't see anything in the event logs that was connected to the problem. OWA works fine. They can accept shared calendar invites and then the shared calendar shows in OWA and in Outlook. It's just the accepting in Outlook that doesn't work.

I'm working right now with Microsoft to try to fix the problem.

Jonathan

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:10 PM
  • Hello Jonathan,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Kind regards,
    Jelle

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:40 PM
  • Hello Jonathan,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Kind regards,
    Jelle

Sorry, but since that was 3 years ago I don't recall which customer it was or if a solution was found by Microsoft. I'll see if I can recall and if I do, I'll let you know.

Jonathan

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 2:11 PM
  • We have found HTML-formatted calendar invites are the trigger in our org. Outlook crashes, and won't re-open because when relaunched, it *opens to the last email/item*, the poison invite.

Remove the offending email in OWA, and Outlook should reopen. Then, disable html for email (Options - Mail - Mail format I think) against any invite YOU send killing someone else's Outlook.

Friday, August 31, 2018 9:33 PM
  • By the way, this is Outlook 2016.
    Friday, August 31, 2018 9:36 PM