none
Outlook 2007 freezing/not responding on clicking "Calendar" tab

Question

• Hi,

I use Outlook 2007 which I run on Windows 7 and have been doing so for many months without any problems. Yesterday, I did a full scan of my computer using Kaspersky which detected 15 trojans all of which were sitting in my pst files. Kaspersky gave me the option to delete them in order to "neutralize any threats" which I did. A couple of hours later while working on Outlook I clicked on the Calendar tab which then froze Outlook. First it didn't bring up the Calendar screen after waiting some time and then "(Not Responding)" appeared at the top of the screen before Outlook crashed. This continued to happen over and over so I tried the following of which none have worked:

1. I used scanpst numerous times on all my outlook pst files until they read that there were "no errors"

2. I backed up my pst files externally via "export" and did a full uninstall and reinstall of Outlook including all the Service Packs

3. When the problem occurred again, I used scanpst again numerous times to clear any errors.

BUT, I still have the same problem. I can send and receive emails and I can access individual appointments via "personal folders" and clicking on the the individual appointment, but as soon as I click on the "Calendar" tab it all freezes and crashes again.

Can anybody help?? I run a small business so am getting very desperate to sort this out asap! Any comments are much appreciated.

Julie :)

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue might be related to many factors, such as add-in or third-party software conflicts, corrupted Outlook settings or components, and viruses, etc.

Try to test this issue in the safe mode. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office. Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click Microsoft Outlook. If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them.

If the problem persists in the safe mode, you can also test the issue in clean boot mode. For detailed steps on how to boot the system into clean boot moder:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If problem persists, create a new Outlook profile to test the results. For detailed steps, refer to this article:

How to Create a new Outlook Profile

http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/2007_profile.htm   

If that cannot resolve the issue, please try to repair the Office programs from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7). Locate the Office program, right click it and choose Change. Then Repair.

Is the problem resolved?

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:41 AM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue might be related to many factors, such as add-in or third-party software conflicts, corrupted Outlook settings or components, and viruses, etc.

Try to test this issue in the safe mode. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office. Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click Microsoft Outlook. If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them.

If the problem persists in the safe mode, you can also test the issue in clean boot mode. For detailed steps on how to boot the system into clean boot moder:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If problem persists, create a new Outlook profile to test the results. For detailed steps, refer to this article:

How to Create a new Outlook Profile

http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/2007_profile.htm   

If that cannot resolve the issue, please try to repair the Office programs from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7). Locate the Office program, right click it and choose Change. Then Repair.

Is the problem resolved?

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:41 AM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Hi Julie,

I am having the same symptoms, although there was no virus infection that I am aware of.  The machine that is having the problem is using Vista Business.  I have tried MS Office diagnostics, all of the /cleanxxxx startup switches, cleanpst - all to no avail.

Have you managed to find a solution yet?

Cheers

Mark

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:48 AM
  • I am having the same issue.

Randi

Monday, February 14, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Hi, Sally and "fellows"

I have a same problem here - no problem at all using Outlook 2007 before off the computer but turned it on again the next day and hanged when clicking the "Calendar" button.

Thanks for your suggested solutions, I tried them all but the problem still presisits.  The only way for a quick fix is to create a new Outlook profile and import all data from latest Outlook.pst, as one of your suggestions. 
    ***  I desperately hope it has a perfert solution as it does affect my Window Phone Sync process! (sign)***

P.S.  I have created another user profile on the same computer and running the Outlook 2007 properly!!!

Blessings & Cheers
    Corinne

Friday, March 4, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Having the same problem with outlook 2007 but with a slightly different twist. I'm using iCloud to sync my two windows computers with my new iPhone. On the computer I use at work, the calendar will stop responding for 20-30 seconds whenever I enter or move an appointment or when I add something to one. My outlook profile at work uses our company's domain name. On the other computer, my personal one, which does not seem to be having this problem my profile uses my gmail account.  Thoughts? 
    Friday, March 2, 2012 4:44 PM
  • This fixed it

I had a task that was causing the error.   Mark tasks as complete.

Friday, October 10, 2014 6:31 PM