How to set custom properties on a folder from the web interface? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to allow SharePoint users to set values of custom properties on folders.

This thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/b708b4b8-700c-481f-9e63-97550dcb0be5 which explains how to add custom properties to a folder.

My question is if and where the custom folder properties can be set through the web interface?

Thanks.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hi

I think you know how to create a content type now and after that you need to go the document library which the new content type need to be applied and follow the steps below:

1.         Click “ document library settings” à “Advanced settings”

2.         Check the box “yes” under “Allow management of content types” and click “OK”

3.         Go back to document library settings page and now you can see “Content types” appears on the page

4.         Click “Add from existing site content types” and add your customized content type and click “OK”

5.         Now the new content type will display on the “Content Type” section on the document library settings page. Click the content type name then you can choose the columns associated with this content type

6.         After the configuration, the customized content type will appear when you click “New” on the document library page and will require you fill the field (properties) needed.

Note that if the users have the permission to do so, it means they can modify the site setting. I think this will bring you some security problems.

Let me know if I misunderstood your concern, thanks.

Lu Zou

• Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:34 AM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:29 AM

All replies

• You will need to create a new Folder content type and add the site columns and columns you  want associated with it.  To create a new content type, go to the top level site, click on Site Actions>Site Settings>Site Content Types>Create.

Once you've created your new folder content type, associate it with your library.

Chris Caravajal MCTS SharePoint Help
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Thank you for explaining how to create a custom content type.

My question was if the new custom property will show up on the folder properties page?

Thanks.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:47 PM
  • Unproposed as answer because according to the (sarcastic?) reply from the original poster, it answered a different question.
    WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Sorry, no sarcasm was implied. Chris did explain how to add a custom property without accessing the SharePoint data model directly.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Hi

I think you know how to create a content type now and after that you need to go the document library which the new content type need to be applied and follow the steps below:

1.         Click “ document library settings” à “Advanced settings”

2.         Check the box “yes” under “Allow management of content types” and click “OK”

3.         Go back to document library settings page and now you can see “Content types” appears on the page

4.         Click “Add from existing site content types” and add your customized content type and click “OK”

5.         Now the new content type will display on the “Content Type” section on the document library settings page. Click the content type name then you can choose the columns associated with this content type

6.         After the configuration, the customized content type will appear when you click “New” on the document library page and will require you fill the field (properties) needed.

Note that if the users have the permission to do so, it means they can modify the site setting. I think this will bring you some security problems.

Let me know if I misunderstood your concern, thanks.

Lu Zou

• Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:34 AM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:29 AM