none
Reusable Workflow - How To Send Email to specific "Assigned To?" RRS feed

• Question

• This link describes PART of what I would like to achieve:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/workflow-example-send-a-notification-message-HA010182908.aspx

I have a list, with an Assigned To column which I would like for the "Assigned To" individual to receive an email once this field changes as the item is assigned.  (Not using Tasks, by the way...)  I have just upgraded to SharePoint 2010.  In 2007, for lack of time (and no further skill) I ended up creating an ELSE/IF condition which listed the individuals individually.  Of course, I had to reselect the lookup values in the email message body each time.  THIS TOOK HOURS!!!!

Is there a way to use a wildcard so that if assigned to equals a person, that person's email address will be looked up instead of having to specify "If assigned to equals Johnny, then email johnny@domain.com?"

I want to create ONE email message and use logic that will use wildcards to associate the assigned to person's email address with the name selected without having to specify 40 else/if conditions.  Obviously, my web research has been fruitless thus far!  Trust me there has been plenty of it!

It's simple things like this which are SOOOOOOOO unintuitive in SharePoint which makes things that seem like they should be SIMPLE a serious pain in the you-know-what...

Someone please help me!

:-)

Thank you in advance!

dyana
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:48 PM

Answers

• Yes there is.

Firstly, add a Wait step that sets the condition to:

Wait until Assigned To is not null

Then add a step for email:

Email Current Item:Assigned To message

The trick is to make the workflow lookup the Assigned To value in the CURRENT ITEM.

I trust that answers your question...

Thanks
    C

http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog
    • Marked as answer by Stanfford Liu Friday, August 6, 2010 7:40 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:15 PM
    Answerer