none
Multi-level Navigation

Question

• The only way I've been able to make something close to multi-level navigation for the side navigation in SharePoint 2007 is to use the built in Tree View function. This function is very undesirable as it shows everything in the site, not just subsites. What I'm aiming for is a multi-level quick launch navigation. The company I work for does not want tabs up top, but wants all navigation to be on the side. That's deep enough as it is, having to customize the navigation for each individual sie.

Short of doing my own coding in SPD (I'm assuming that's doable), is there anything I can do to create multiple levels for the quick launch?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

don't know if exactly helps you, but take a look at this link:

Daniel Bugday

Web: SharePoint Forum Blog: Daniel Bugday's SharePoint Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Micro-managing my menus individually for each site like that is sort of what I want to avoid. I did find a function in default.master that allows you to set how many static and dynamic levels will show (StaticDisplayLevels and MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels, respectively), however, it still won't allow me to manually set those levels just using the actual browser. IS using SDP to manually customize each menu the only viable option?

I should also ask - am I looking in the correct place for Quick Launch Customization for each individual site, which would be the default.aspx for each site? Or is the quick launch info saved somewhere else?
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Hi,

Just a suggestion, but you can actually create a custom content type then display it as a web-part. The advantage here is, you can easily style your web-part (css). I've personally implemented site navigation and external links as such. It enables users to update links and names easily and it can be queried by search as well.

Have a look at the quick launch menu on WSSDemo.com by Ian Morrish.

Regards,
    Harish Mathanan
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:21 AM
  • I'm really a SharePoint dummy in some areas; what is a content type?

As far as that link, that quick launch is good, but my company wants to eliminate a top navigation altogether, and do all the navigation from the quick launch, and that goes more than two levels deep. The problem I've run into is that I've set the static levels to three, but customizing navigation via the browser does not allow me to set up three levels, or, there have been a couple instances where I've seen a third level, but it's alignment will be off, or, when I tried dynamic levels, there will be no appropriate graphics to go on the fly-out menus.

Update: I actually may have found a solution; I don't know if it's a good way to do this, but I've set it so that the Quick Launch does not display, and made it so that the Global Navigation displays vertically. This produced the exact navigation I've been looking for, flyouts and all, with a good appearance. The only problem is the location; it still locates itself above the main web space. I've tried changing it's location in the default.master (after backing it up), but it just breaks the site. What can I do?
    • Edited by Nate A Miller Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:52 PM new info
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:15 PM
  • Hi Nate,

I'm not much into branding either, but you should definitely take a look at Heather Solomon's Blog (a Guru in Design). You just may find your answer on there :)

Regards,
    Harish Mathanan
    • Proposed as answer by SPDvlpr Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:39 PM
    Friday, November 21, 2008 12:27 AM