none
Office 12 instillation - Registry error 1402 Cannot open registry key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

i know this type of error has popped up before however i have tried one of the fixes suggested (run a script code) and it doesnt work for my particular problem (what ever the heck it is).

I am trying to install office after having a major system issue after an automatic update, that took place somewhere around 3am in the morning, sent my computer into a complete tailslide. I went to bed, all was perfect...awoke the next morning and..."OMG WTF happened while i was asleep"!

anyway, am trying to re-install office and i keep getting the following error Error 1402. Setup cannot open the registry key

UNKOWN\Components\D7AD2E79A44585A4994A8C99F5B1A62C\00002109E60090400000000000F01FEC.Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the resitry or contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance.

Can anyone help out with this one???

Friday, July 20, 2012 10:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

-  You may completely uninstall Office 2007, run fix it tool: (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9669698)  You need restart computer after run fix it tool.
    And then right-click setup.exe -> point to Run as administrator.

-  Also follow the steps provided in the KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687

-  If the problem still persists, you can add permission follow these steps:

Create a new notepad and paste the following code in it;

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /setowner=administrators
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /setowner=administrators
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /setowner=administrators
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    cls
    Exit

Save as the extension to .cmd, for instance: “reset.cmd”. Right-click this file, and Run this file as administrator.

The process will take several minutes, do NOT close the Window what may come. Once the process is complete, the command line window will automatically close and try to install office.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 23, 2012 1:22 PM