many Active Sync eventlogs 1033 RRS feed

• Question

• hello to all

(our system: Exchange 2010 SP1)

this morning i see 46 lines in our eventlog from source MSExchange Active Sync with ID 1033 at the same time. below there are the messages. i have no idea about the reason. it seems that we haven´t any problem in this time (nobody call us ;-) ) and we didn´t change anything in the last days.

thanks for any tip to find the reason.

best regards
    Wilfried

(oldest event to newest)
    The setting MaxNumOfFolders in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 1000.
    The setting NumOfQueuedMailboxLogEntries in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 15.
    The setting MaxSizeOfMailboxLog in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 8000.
    The setting ADCacheRefreshInterval in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 60.
    The setting EventQueuePollingInterval in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 2.
    The setting MaxRetrievedItems in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 100.
    The setting MaxWindowSize in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 100.
    The setting DeviceClassCacheMaxStartDelay in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 21600.
    The setting DeviceClassCacheMaxADUploadCount in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 300.
    The setting DeviceClassCachePerOrgRefreshInterval in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 10800.
    The setting DeviceClassPerOrgMaxADCount in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 1000.
    The setting DeviceClassCacheADCleanupInterval in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 90.
    The setting DisableCaching in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to false.
    The setting SyncLogEnabled in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to true.
    The setting SyncLogDirectory in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to .
    The setting SchemaDirectory in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to .
    The setting SchemaValidate in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to On.
    The setting BlockNewMailboxes in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to false.
    The setting BlockLegacyMailboxes in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to false.
    The setting ProxyVirtualDirectory in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync.
    The setting BackOffThreshold in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 3.
    The setting BackOffTimeOut in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 60.
    The setting BackOffErrorWindow in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 60.
    The setting ProxyHandlerLongTimeout in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 3600.
    The setting ProxyHandlerShortTimeout in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 120.
    The setting ProxyConnectionPoolConnectionLimit in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 50000.
    The setting MaxCollectionsToLog in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 100.
    The setting MaxWorkerThreadsPerProc in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 10.
    The setting MaxRequestsQueued in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 500.
    The setting MaxMailboxSearchResults in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 100.
    The setting MailboxSearchTimeout in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 30.
    The setting MailboxSearchTimeoutNoContentIndexing in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 90.
    The setting MaxClientSentBadItems in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 4.
    The setting BadItemIncludeStackTrace in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to false.
    The setting BadItemIncludeEmailToText in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to false.
    The setting BadItemEmailToText in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to .
    The setting MaxGALSearchResults in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 100.
    The setting MaxDocumentLibrarySearchResults in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 1000.
    The setting MaxDocumentDataSize in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 10240000.
    The setting ADCacheExpirationTimeout in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 360.
    The setting ADCacheMaxOrgCount in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 50000.
    The setting FullServerVersion in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to false.
    The setting BootstrapCABForWM61HostingURL in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=150061.
    The setting MobileUpdateInformationURL in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=143155.
    The setting BootstrapMailDeliveryDelay in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to 259200.
    The setting ExternalProxy in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was Null and has been changed to .

wilfried
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:11 AM

Answers

• These events will appear if the required settings are missing in the Web.Config file

Path: X:\....\v14\ClientAccess\Sync\Web.Config

After the settings are missing, ActiveSync component will use the default values and log these events. However, the Web.Config file won’t be updated with the default values. So, these events will be logged whenever the ActiveSync component has been restarted

Please open the Web.Config.Bak from the same folder as the Web.Config file, locate the traces of the entries that have been mentioned in the events, copy the values from Web.Config.Bak file into the Web.Config file. After that, please reset IIS

Notes: Please backup your current Web.Config file before perform any action

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Friday, May 6, 2011 9:43 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:40 AM

All replies

• Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:57 PM
  • I see this as well - 46 of them actually.

Why can we ignore them and what in SP1 is triggering this?

Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:44 PM
  • These events will appear if the required settings are missing in the Web.Config file

Path: X:\....\v14\ClientAccess\Sync\Web.Config

After the settings are missing, ActiveSync component will use the default values and log these events. However, the Web.Config file won’t be updated with the default values. So, these events will be logged whenever the ActiveSync component has been restarted

Please open the Web.Config.Bak from the same folder as the Web.Config file, locate the traces of the entries that have been mentioned in the events, copy the values from Web.Config.Bak file into the Web.Config file. After that, please reset IIS

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Friday, May 6, 2011 9:43 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:40 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply James!

What I don't get is why this is being logged as missing in the Web.Config even when these tag are present...

The last week, this has been reported twice for "all" 46 tags. Checking the web.config reveals that the tags are present in the file and that the file has not been modified since September 2010 (according to Explorer).

So why is Exchange reporting these tags as missing when they are not?

Could it be that these tags are missing in the web.config for other services than Active Sync?

...or is it simply a bug introduced by SP1

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply James!

What I don't get is why this is being logged as missing in the Web.Config even when these tag are present...

The last week, this has been reported twice for "all" 46 tags. Checking the web.config reveals that the tags are present in the file and that the file has not been modified since September 2010 (according to Explorer).

So why is Exchange reporting these tags as missing when they are not?

Could it be that these tags are missing in the web.config for other services than Active Sync?

...or is it simply a bug introduced by SP1

Thanks,

Chris

Personally, I would ignore them.  :)

Its more noise than a bug from what I can tell.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Chris, when does the issue start to appear, after the SP1 upgrade?

Please right-click the “Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync” virtual directly in IIS, click “Explorer”, and then check if the virtual directory has been pointed to the “Sync” folder correctly

Notes: If the system hides the extensions, the name of Web.Config will be just the “Web”

Please create an identical CAS server in a lab, swap the Web.Config files, and check the issue again

Monday, May 2, 2011 3:12 AM
  • Any update?
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

I'm in the same boat as user who started this discussion.
    Exchange 2010 SP1 RU5
    Those settings ARE IN web.config file - so I don't understand whats wrong?

rgds Sven
    Monday, October 10, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Do you have any monitoring software deployed on your CAS servers?

Sukh
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:37 AM
  • Similar issue with another deployment and have just had it confirmed it was their monitoring software.
    Sukh
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Nope, no monitoring software.
    Just Exchange and TrendMicro ScanMail for Exchange (latest).
    But I don't see any relations between antivirus and this web.config file.
    rgds Sven
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:19 AM
  • If you logs hold enough enteries, go the the 1st occurence and see if it tells you of any changes to the system (check the app & sys logs).

Do you know if any changes that were made?

Alos, do you just get the 1 event or more?

Sukh
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:59 AM
  • I have not keeped those entries.

After installation EX2010SP1 RU5 a did nothing with web.config
    As today.. I'v tried some options what I found in forums.. but nothing helpful so far..

I'v got almost as many entries as first post in this forum.

rgds Sven
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:10 PM
  • how often are the events logged?  Roughly every hour?
    Sukh
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:37 PM
  • No,

After restart.
    Order is like that:

1. restart server
    2. log in owa
    3. browse "Options" -> "See all options" -> "Phone"

The first time I hit the Phone I got those errors.

One weird thing, that I noticed is 2 similar events:

The Exchange Control Panel Web service 'http://srv02.standard.ee/ecp/TroubleShooting/MobileDevices.svc' started.
    The Exchange Control Panel Web service 'https://srv02.standard.ee/ecp/TroubleShooting/MobileDevices.svc' started.

Is this normal? http and https?

rgds Sven
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:49 PM
  • I have seen the same set of 46 events generated on the first instance of item 1 (below) or the first instance of either item 2 or 3 (below) after an iisreset or OS restart

1.  A user views the Phones item in Exchange Control Panel (same as described in Janx444's post above)

2.  The Manage Mobile Phone action is selected for a user in the Mailbox pane of Exchange Management Console

3.  The Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics -Mailbox username PowerShell cmdlet is run

I was able to eliminate the set of events associated with item 1 by copying the 46 add key lines corresponding to the settings in the set of Event 1003 from the web.config file in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\sync folder to the web.config file in the ..\ecp folder, and running iisrestart.  I thought I could eliminate the set of events associated with item 2 or 3 by similarly copying the add key lines to the web.config file in the ..\powershell folder, but that didn't work.

As others have noted, these events can can be ignored, and maybe what causes them has been fixed in SP2.

• Edited by sejong Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by snoopz1 Wednesday, May 10, 2017 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:33 PM
  • @ A_D_

Have you installed SP2, and if so, has Event 1033 disappeared

Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:46 PM
  • No SP2 yet. Waiting confirmation that SP2 is safe to install :)
    rgds Sven
    Friday, December 16, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Installed SP2 yesterday; no problems, but Event 1033 continues.
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 1:57 AM
  • Update: In SP2, Event 1033 can be eliminated when a user views the Phones item in Exchange Control Panel by copying 45 "add key" elements from the web.config file in the sync folder to the web.config file in the ecp folder.  In SP1 there were 46 "add key" elements.  The one referencing ExternalProxy is gone.  A set of 45 instances of Event 1033 is generated when Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics -Mailbox username is run or when the Manage Mobile Phone action is selected for a user in the Mailbox pane of Exchange Management Console.

When Event 1033 is generated, I think it is because the web.config file in the sync folder is not read for those 45 "add key" elements.  I say this because once those elements are copied into the web.config file in the ecp folder, editing one of them to a value that is unacceptable to the code reading them generates an instance of Event 1033 where the event text references the unacceptable value, whereas when Event 1033 is triggered by the actions described above, the text of Event 1033 always contains "the previous value was null", which implies that the "add key" line was not read.

• Edited by sejong Sunday, December 18, 2011 1:01 PM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:51 PM
  • i had similar issue, mine was caused by me using OWA and removing a users phone from activesync session (using ECP)

i am running sp1 ru5

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:19 AM
  • You post says you *had* a similar issue.  Does this mean that you don't have it anymore?  If so, how did you solve it?

Monday, January 16, 2012 8:26 PM
  • Update: In SP2, Event 1033 can be eliminated when a user views the Phones item in Exchange Control Panel by copying 45 "add key" elements from the web.config file in the sync folder to the web.config file in the ecp folder.  In SP1 there were 46 "add key" elements.  The one referencing ExternalProxy is gone.  A set of 45 instances of Event 1033 is generated when Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics -Mailbox username is run or when the Manage Mobile Phone action is selected for a user in the Mailbox pane of Exchange Management Console.

When Event 1033 is generated, I think it is because the web.config file in the sync folder is not read for those 45 "add key" elements.  I say this because once those elements are copied into the web.config file in the ecp folder, editing one of them to a value that is unacceptable to the code reading them generates an instance of Event 1033 where the event text references the unacceptable value, whereas when Event 1033 is triggered by the actions described above, the text of Event 1033 always contains "the previous value was null", which implies that the "add key" line was not read.

Hi,

Can You post some examples where did you exactly put those lines?

rgds Sven

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Immediately after <appSettings> and ahead of <!-- Set LogPerformanceData to "true" to log ECP's performance records to the IIS log: -->as shown below

<appSettings>

<add key="BootstrapCABForWM61HostingURL" value="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=150061" />
        <add key="MobileUpdateInformationURL" value="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=143155" />
        <add key="MaxNumOfFolders" value="1000"></add>
        <add key="NumOfQueuedMailboxLogEntries" value="15"></add>
        <add key="MaxSizeOfMailboxLog" value="8000"></add>
        <add key="ADCacheRefreshInterval" value="60"></add>
        <add key="EventQueuePollingInterval" value="2"></add>
        <add key="MaxRetrievedItems" value="100"></add>
        <add key="MaxWindowSize" value="100"></add>
        <add key="DeviceClassCacheMaxStartDelay" value="21600"></add>
        <add key="DeviceClassCacheMaxADUploadCount" value="300"></add>
        <add key="DeviceClassCachePerOrgRefreshInterval" value="10800"></add>
        <add key="DeviceClassPerOrgMaxADCount" value="1000"></add>
        <add key="DeviceClassCacheADCleanupInterval" value="90"></add>
        <add key="DisableCaching" value="false"></add>
        <add key="SyncLogEnabled" value="true"></add>
        <add key="SyncLogDirectory" value=""></add>
        <add key="SchemaDirectory" value=""></add>
        <add key="SchemaValidate" value="On"></add>
        <add key="BlockNewMailboxes" value="false"></add>
        <add key="BlockLegacyMailboxes" value="false"></add>
        <add key="ProxyVirtualDirectory" value="/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync"></add>
        <add key="BackOffThreshold" value="3"></add>
        <add key="BackOffTimeOut" value="60"></add>
        <add key="BackOffErrorWindow" value="60"></add>
        <add key="ProxyHandlerLongTimeout" value="3600"></add>
        <add key="ProxyHandlerShortTimeout" value="120"></add>
        <add key="ProxyConnectionPoolConnectionLimit" value="100"></add>
        <add key="MaxCollectionsToLog" value="100"></add>
        <add key="MaxWorkerThreadsPerProc" value="10"></add>
        <add key="MaxRequestsQueued" value="500"></add>
        <add key="MaxMailboxSearchResults" value="100"></add>
        <add key="MailboxSearchTimeout" value="30"></add>
        <add key="MailboxSearchTimeoutNoContentIndexing" value="90"></add>
        <add key="MaxClientSentBadItems" value="4"></add>
        <add key="BadItemIncludeStackTrace" value="false"></add>
        <add key="BadItemIncludeEmailToText" value="false"></add>
        <add key="BadItemEmailToText" value=""></add>
        <add key="MaxGALSearchResults" value="100"></add>
        <add key="MaxDocumentLibrarySearchResults" value="1000"></add>
        <add key="MaxDocumentDataSize" value="10240000"></add>
        <add key="ADCacheExpirationTimeout" value="360"></add>
        <add key="ADCacheMaxOrgCount" value="50000"></add>   
        <add key="FullServerVersion" value="false"></add>
        <add key="BootstrapMailDeliveryDelay" value="259200"></add>
       <!-- Set LogPerformanceData to "true" to log ECP's performance records to the IIS log: -->

• Proposed as answer by Sven J Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:40 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:51 PM
  • Thank You. So far, so good. Seems to be working.
    Have You ever noticed some kind of sideeffects? Like when installing RU's or something? Does installing RU will wipe those settings?

rgds Sven

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:42 PM
  • I have not noticed any side effects.  I have not installed any RU's since installing SP2.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Many thanks, that worked and all the warnings disappeared from eventlog on my E2k10/SP3/SRP9 when someone get into OWA/options/mobile, except two ones. So based on those remaining two err msgs, I had just to add these next ones and it 100procent clear now. I'm just afraid it has to repeated later when MS will publish new webconfile file as does sometimes if necesary.

<add key="MinGALSearchLength" value="4"></add>
        <add key="MaxNoOfItemsMove" value="1000"></add>

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:23 PM
  • Hi everybody,

Is more easy and secure, ADD key from IIS console...

1.- Go to Default Web site -> MS Server ActiveSync -> App Settings

2.- Select KEY that appears in event log ID 1033 and rewrite the default VALUE.

If the KEY don´t appears... then in the right panel, clic on "ADD" and then, copy and paste the value key that appears in event log ID 1033.

3.- iisreset /noforce

Note: With this procedure, you don´t need manually move the file web.config, IIS automatically change this.

Regards,

Morice Flores

Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:37 PM
  • KB :  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff359673(v=exchg.140).aspx

since you going to modify web.config in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\ECP folder

you go to
    - Go to Default Web site -> ECP -> App Settings

if you want to modify web.config in  Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\sync  folder

you go to
    - Go to Default Web site -> Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync -> App Settings

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 10:24 AM
  • after running  Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics
    PowerShell looking for setting in web.config but not found the setting, then it report the error. (event id 1033)

from this, we know that we need to add those setting to web.config
    but which web.config ?

I search for web.config in folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14

and found web.config in 7 different folder.
    we know that it must be 1 of these, that we need to modify.

7 right ?   but exclude ones in folder "sync" and "ecp" since you already fix those.
    it is cut down to 5 location which is subfolder of C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\

.. \exchweb\EWS
    .. \owa
    .. \PowerShell
    .. \PowerShell-Proxy
    .. \RpcProxy

it must be 1 of this 5, but which one ?
    can someone do trial and error by add single setting to this file and reproduce the problem
    to see if that error gone.  if not reverse the setting back to original.  then move to next file.
       iisreset between each trial

then we know which web.config , we need to modify.

KB :  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff359673(v=exchg.140).aspx

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 5:42 PM