none
convert shared mailbox to regular

Question

• Hi Experts

I am using exchange hybrid environment,I have a shared mailbox on cloud and i want to make it regular mailbox on exchange onprem, Do i need to migrate this shared mailbox from cloud to onprem and convert it as regular mailbox
    or do i need to convert it to regular mailbox on cloud and then migrate it back to exchange onprem.which is the recommended approach.
    AD account will it be enabled automatically or do i need to enable it.

Monday, May 20, 2019 11:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is recommended to move the mailbox back to on-premises first. After that, you can convert the shared mailbox to a user mailbox. In this scenario, you don't need to enable the AD account and change the attributes manually. You can use the following command to change the mailbox type.

Set-Mailbox -Identity "<alias>" -Type Regular -Password (ConvertTo-SecureString -String '<string>' -AsPlainText -Force) -ResetPasswordOnNextLogon $true

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is recommended to move the mailbox back to on-premises first. After that, you can convert the shared mailbox to a user mailbox. In this scenario, you don't need to enable the AD account and change the attributes manually. You can use the following command to change the mailbox type.

Set-Mailbox -Identity "<alias>" -Type Regular -Password (ConvertTo-SecureString -String '<string>' -AsPlainText -Force) -ResetPasswordOnNextLogon $true

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going?

If there is anything unclear or any update, please feel free to let me know. If the reply helps, kindly mark it as answer, which will be beneficial for answer searching in the forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Friday, May 24, 2019 10:00 AM