none
Transport Calculations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an existing environment and am planning to add some Exchange 2013 servers in a new AD site so as to route to a particular forest. These server as purely used for Transport and will not hold any DBS. 

How can I calculate how big to make the volume for the Transport DB (Safety Net etc)?

Only information I have is there are 300,000 messages going between the current Exchange estate and the destination forest. Ive tried the Exchange calculator but that is expecting me to add in details about Mailboxes etc (which the solution will not require).

Thanks

Friday, September 14, 2018 10:25 AM

Answers

• The transport drive will have 450GB free. 
    That will be more than adequate for just the transport DB with the default safety net settings
    Friday, September 14, 2018 1:13 PM
  • Hi,

It is related with the mails concurrency and message size. This tool is used to calculate Exchange Server Role Requirements, although this new server does not need to store data, you can still refer to it to calculate the maximum requirement(when new server has mailbox database on it).

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, September 17, 2018 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have an existing environment and am planning to add some Exchange 2013 servers in a new AD site so as to route to a particular forest. These server as purely used for Transport and will not hold any DBS. 

How can I calculate how big to make the volume for the Transport DB (Safety Net etc)?

Only information I have is there are 300,000 messages going between the current Exchange estate and the destination forest. Ive tried the Exchange calculator but that is expecting me to add in details about Mailboxes etc (which the solution will not require).

Thanks

I wouldnt worry about it too much. How much storage is available?
    Friday, September 14, 2018 12:49 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2018 12:59 PM
  • I think this is sufficient.

Queue DB grows as per the usage and emails in the queue.

You can stop the transport and run offline defrag to reduce the size and claim whitesapce in this.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question .

PREM RANA

MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,

2010, MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 MCSE 2003 Server,

MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation

https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

Friday, September 14, 2018 1:10 PM
  • Thanks guys. Problem is, I will need to justify this with a calculation of predicted growth etc. 
    Friday, September 14, 2018 1:12 PM
    That will be more than adequate for just the transport DB with the default safety net settings
    Friday, September 14, 2018 1:13 PM
  • Hi,

It is related with the mails concurrency and message size. This tool is used to calculate Exchange Server Role Requirements, although this new server does not need to store data, you can still refer to it to calculate the maximum requirement(when new server has mailbox database on it).

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, September 17, 2018 8:45 AM
  • I think this is sufficient.

Queue DB grows as per the usage and emails in the queue.

You can stop the transport and run offline defrag to reduce the size and claim whitesapce in this.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question .

PREM RANA

MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,

2010, MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 MCSE 2003 Server,

MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation

https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

I cant imagine why anyone would ever do that. 
    Monday, September 17, 2018 10:51 AM