none
Essentials Email Service will not start RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issues on a server that has been running the essentials experience fine for a few years now. 

Recently the Windows Server Essentials Email Service is failing to start and causing the Office 365 integration to fail.

When I check the System Log I get the following

The Windows Server Essentials Email Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 9 time(s)

At the same timestamp in the Application Log I get this  from source .NET Runtime

Application: SharedServiceHost.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.CommitChanges()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.MailService.ActiveDirectoryHelper+<>c__DisplayClass3.<SetLocalUserPrincipleName>b__1()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.MailService.ActiveDirectoryHelper.InvokeOperationImpersonateWrapper(System.Action)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.UpdateO365IntegrationDataTask.CleanUpMappingData(Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.O365User[])
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.UpdateO365IntegrationDataTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.O365Integration.BackgroundTask.TimerCallback(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.CallCallback()
       at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.Fire()
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Some quick searching on this error seemed to hint at a permissions issue however I have used up to and including the full enterprise admin account to run the service for testing and it still fails.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Many factors may causing corruption problem. It is difficult to identifies the details only based on the event log.

It is recommended to disable 3rd party process, Clean Boot would be recommended if possible. Wait for a period of time and confirm that if the corruption problem happens again. Besides, please open CMD and type “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files.

Also, please patch the system fully with Windows Update/Hotfix, it would be helpful for resolving some known issues and improving the performance.

If problem persists, please provide more information, such as OS name and version, any change before problem happens?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 12, 2019 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang      

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:21 AM