How to repair corrupt MS Excel 2003 (XLS) File? RRS feed

• Question

• I have important MS Excel file data and unfortunately got corrupt due to virus attacks, so my crucial Excel sheet got lost, how to repair corrupt MS Excel 2003 (XLS) File? If have any solution please assist me.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:09 PM

Answers

• A corrupt excel spreadsheet can be repaired by using Open and Repair technique. It is a built-in repair function that opens a corrupt excel file forcefully. 
    *Open MS Excel > press Ctrl+O > locate corrupt excel spreadsheet and select it. 
    *Click on the arrow shown beside Open button > select Open and Repair. 
    It will take just a few seconds to be completed and selected file will be opened, if possible. 

Or if this doesn't work, one may take help of a third-party Excel Recovery software. I would recommend Excel Repair Kit software to recover data from corrupt excel spreadsheet. The software is available with free demo version. To read more about this software and to download its free demo version, visit: http://www.excel.repair/
    • Marked as answer by PeteGriffin Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:54 AM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:42 PM

All replies

• A corrupt excel spreadsheet can be repaired by using Open and Repair technique. It is a built-in repair function that opens a corrupt excel file forcefully. 
    *Open MS Excel > press Ctrl+O > locate corrupt excel spreadsheet and select it. 
    *Click on the arrow shown beside Open button > select Open and Repair. 
    It will take just a few seconds to be completed and selected file will be opened, if possible. 

Or if this doesn't work, one may take help of a third-party Excel Recovery software. I would recommend Excel Repair Kit software to recover data from corrupt excel spreadsheet. The software is available with free demo version. To read more about this software and to download its free demo version, visit: http://www.excel.repair/
    • Marked as answer by PeteGriffin Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:54 AM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:42 PM
  • Hi,

There are several methods that you can use to recover information from damaged or corrupted Microsoft Excel 2010, Microsoft Office Excel 2007, or Microsoft Office Excel 2003 files: 

• Use a recovered copy of the document.
    • Use the Open and Repair command.
    • Save the file in HTML format.
    • Save the file in XML Spreadsheet format.
    • If a chart is linked to the corrupted file, use a macro to extract the data.

More reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820741/en-us

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repairing-corrupted-files-in-excel-HA001034656.aspx

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:18 AM
  • you must be infected by Ransomeware which encrypt your files so files that looks corrupt to you is actually encrypted there's no solution for this. your best shot is to restore files from your old backup.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:34 AM

Start Excel back up and wait to see if it automatically offers to recover the document for you. Later versions will walk you through the process of recovering the document systematically. Just be sure you don't close down any windows before you are certain they are not your lost file.

Click Start > Recent Documents. Your file should be there, although your most recent changes may not be.

From within Excel, go to "Open" and choose "Recent Documents" (it may show automatically). If you see your document there, open it and you will recover the version of your document most recently saved. (In some versions of Excel, you will first need to click File > Open on the drop-down menu. On others, you will need to click the icon in the upper left hand corner and go from there.)

Go to "My Computer" and perform a search. Be sure to indicate which file type and what folders the file may have been saved to. To do this, you may have to select the option to do an advanced search.

If you are in an office, contact your tech support department or systems administrator. Many companies back up all their computers regularly, and your file may have been saved to a separate server that can be recovered by someone with the right access level.

Look in your temporary files. There are a number of ways to do this, but sometimes the easiest trick is to backtrack. One technique is from within Excel click File > Save As. (If Excel says there is nothing to save, enter a letter or number into 1 of the fields in your new file first.) In the dialogue box that opens, select "Recent Documents." Scroll around and see if your file is there. If so, make a note of the path (some computers will allow you to highlight, right-click, and save the path), close the dialogue box and go to my computer and plug in the path.
    Monday, November 10, 2014 9:39 PM
  • How to Recover an Excel File That Was Saved Over

Using AutoRecover

1. Click "Start" and then "Search."

2. Select "All Files and Folders" when asked what you want to search for.

3. Type in "*.xls" (without the quotation marks) under "All or Part of the File Name."

4. Click on the arrow next to "More advanced options" and make sure that the file type reads "All Files and Folders."

5. Click the boxes next to "Search System Folders" and "Search Hidden Files."

6. Click "Search."

7. Look for an earlier version of your file (it should have a similar name). When it appears, open it to see if it is the version you want.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 12:52 AM
  • I think your excel file(s) is corrupted to forever. Try to use more powerful solution, like some software.
    Saturday, November 15, 2014 2:32 PM
  • I hope next methods must help you:

First of all apply open and repair function
    Second method, check your backup archive
    Third reinstall MS Excel
    Monday, November 17, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Otherwise check temporary office excel files, it must be solution. In this case if it's work, you shouldn't use other methods for recovery.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:41 PM
  • To revert to the last saved version, do the following:

Choose Open from the File menu. In Excel 2007, click the Office button and select Open.
    Using the Look In control, locate and specify the corrupted workbook.
    Click Open.
    You're really just reopening the workbook -- there's nothing special going on.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:49 PM
  • In your situation I would reinstall Excel and after to try some version of Excel 2007, 2013, 2010 or even 2003.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:53 PM
  • One more solution might be to use third party software if anything can't help you.
    Friday, November 21, 2014 12:21 PM
  • Run Repair
    The first thing to try is to open it with the Repair option in Excel. You can do this by 

clicking on File and then Open. In the Open dialog box, single click on the Excel file and 

then click on the small arrow next to the Open button.

Go ahead and click on Open and Repair and you’ll get a message asking if you want to repair, 

which will recover as much data as possible or if you simply want to extract data, which will 

copy out the formulas and values.

You can try to repair first and see if it can recover the whole file, if not, you can then 

try to extract the data.
    Monday, November 24, 2014 9:11 PM
  • - try opening the file in other apps that can open spreadsheets.... Open Office, Star Office or whatever the hell they call it, Google Docs even
    - do you have a unix OS available? Try porting the file there and getting someone to open it for you, you might recover more than what you bargained for, or partially recover
    - following the above, I'm not knowledgable on tablets but perhaps try to open it with an office app for tablets... you'll never know. So many different machines these days
    - back to windows have you tried to import the file instead of directly opening it? (in excel)
    - and.... try other microsoft excels if available to you (365?)

That's all I can think of! hope it helps  (i too am not confident, i hate file/disk corruption)
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:45 AM
  • 1st another version of ms excel, for example 2010
    2nd check your backup
    3rd third party solution
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 8:58 AM
  • You may try some powerful methods like checking your backup files or make system restore.
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:21 AM
  • check your pc to viruses
    apply in-built solution
    try to open your file with different versions of program
    Friday, November 28, 2014 9:00 PM
  • To repair corrupt Excel file, try to open the file in safe mode. If it will open then, remove add-in from Excel. Read my answer here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b151032e-f135-4ea5-bd68-30d09e864312/quoterrors-were-detected-while-saving-filename-microsoft-excel-may-be-able-to-save-the-file-by?forum=excel

Thursday, September 20, 2018 12:03 PM