storing a signature in SQL Server DB RRS feed

• Question

• i have a Think Pad eqp'd with a pen. The database is SQL Server, the interface is IE8. We are going to create a data entry form that we want to be able to sign as a signature with the pen... and have the actual signature stored (as an image???) is there any place to go that will explain how that is set up? the programming staff uses .net framework to create the web pages... i just wanted to know how dificult this will be. is it just a matter of giving the field a special data type and your done of is there a lot more behind all this?
    • Moved by Bob Beauchemin Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:12 PM Moved to a more relevent forum (From:.NET Framework inside SQL Server)
    Monday, August 27, 2012 12:13 PM

Answers

• I can't speak to the signature image acquision but the database part is easy.  Store the signature image in a varbinary(MAX) column.  The web application would just pass the byte array or image stream as a command parameter.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/

• Proposed as answer by Iric WenEditor Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by ronaldallard Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:48 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 12:21 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I can't speak to the signature image acquision but the database part is easy.  Store the signature image in a varbinary(MAX) column.  The web application would just pass the byte array or image stream as a command parameter.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/

• Proposed as answer by Iric WenEditor Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by ronaldallard Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:48 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 12:21 PM
    Answerer
  • I do not think, no direct way to store signature in SQL server. You need to convert the signature into image then can insert the same as BLOB object in SQL server.

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

Monday, August 27, 2012 2:13 PM