none
Unable to open .wav files from outlook

Question

• When attempting to open an attached .wav file from Outlook 2007, I get the error: This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it.

What is more confusing is that there are other Win2003 R2 x64 servers running the same version of Outlook and they can open the file. I have tried copying the settings but it all looks the same. Anyone know how to get this feature working again? Thank you.

Thanks,
    Monday, March 21, 2011 6:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that you have encountered some problems when trying to open an attached .wav file from Outlook 2007. The error message “This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it” was received. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

First, try to start Outlook in safe mode to see if it works fine.

If it works fine in safe mode, disable the add-ins you have.

Second, if the issue still persists, let’s refer to the following link.

How can I preview attachments in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007?

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/exchange-and-outlook-tips-amp-techniques/how-can-i-preview-attachments-in-microsoft-office-outlook-2007-.aspx

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Third, if the issue still persists, we need to try to clear out the Outlook Temporary items

Outlook keeps a temporary folder for opening attachments and it is hidden in Windows 7. If a file in that folder becomes locked or corrupt, you can end up as I did… unable to listen to your voicemail messages.

The solution is simple, jump into the temporary folder and clean it out. We need to find the temporary internet folder called outlook.content.

It should be somewhere like this:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\F2OLM1OC\

But this last part “F2OLM1OC” is system generated. i.e. it won’t be the same on your computer. And, the folder \Content.Outlook\ is not shown if you simply go to your temporary internet folder.

So the easiest way to get to the folder and to navigate straight here… remember to replace “%USERNAME%” with your computer user name (the name you logon with).

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook

You’ll find the folder in question inside that one. Or, you can go into your registry to find the location of that folder directly. You’ll find the entry here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security

Hope it does help.

Best Regards,

Nick Wan

• Marked as answer by Nick Wan Monday, March 28, 2011 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that you have encountered some problems when trying to open an attached .wav file from Outlook 2007. The error message “This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it” was received. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

First, try to start Outlook in safe mode to see if it works fine.

If it works fine in safe mode, disable the add-ins you have.

Second, if the issue still persists, let’s refer to the following link.

How can I preview attachments in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007?

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/exchange-and-outlook-tips-amp-techniques/how-can-i-preview-attachments-in-microsoft-office-outlook-2007-.aspx

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Third, if the issue still persists, we need to try to clear out the Outlook Temporary items

Outlook keeps a temporary folder for opening attachments and it is hidden in Windows 7. If a file in that folder becomes locked or corrupt, you can end up as I did… unable to listen to your voicemail messages.

The solution is simple, jump into the temporary folder and clean it out. We need to find the temporary internet folder called outlook.content.

It should be somewhere like this:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\F2OLM1OC\

But this last part “F2OLM1OC” is system generated. i.e. it won’t be the same on your computer. And, the folder \Content.Outlook\ is not shown if you simply go to your temporary internet folder.

So the easiest way to get to the folder and to navigate straight here… remember to replace “%USERNAME%” with your computer user name (the name you logon with).

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook

You’ll find the folder in question inside that one. Or, you can go into your registry to find the location of that folder directly. You’ll find the entry here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security

Hope it does help.

Best Regards,

Nick Wan

• Marked as answer by Nick Wan Monday, March 28, 2011 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Is there a way to have the file open externally in its own window instead of having the file open on a preview pane as described in article?

Javier C.

Thanks,
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:02 PM
  • You may also want to check the file type associations in Windows. If the extention is associated with a program that does not support preview in Outlook this will cause an issue.
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:49 PM