none
Application Error 6482

General discussion

• I'm getting one of these about every minute on a single server MOSS farm:

Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (ea1f2cb4-6fe0-4838-92d7-1e1a908808fd).

Reason: Object 196c41c4-d474-42a2-8bac-f5239cefff2c not found.

Techinal Support Details:

System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: Object 196c41c4-d474-42a2-8bac-f5239cefff2c not found.

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi.get_App()

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi.SetUsersPermittedToQuery(String[] userNames, Boolean force)

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob)

ncjks
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:50 AM

All replies

•  Of couse, when I try a search, I get 

The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service

I found this post: http://anuraj.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/the-search-request-was-unable-to-connect-to-the-search-service/

Says to install and run the indexing service but I'm running Server 2008 and I don't get an Indexing Service.

I get an Indexing Options icon in Control Panel and it just tells me that indexing is not running.

Search worked before so I don't know what I did to break it.
    ncjks
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:31 AM
  • I think fixed this for now.  I went to the Services on Server page and clicked on the Office Server Search link that opened the Configure Office SharePoint Server Search Service Settings on server <my server> page.

I entered the password for my search service and clicked OK.  Then I stopped and started the Search service in the Services mmc.

That ended up giving me an Application Log entry that said Successfully imported the application configuration snapshot into the registry.

Now, I search the registry and I find the application under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\12.0\Search\Applications\<My Search App GUID>

I restart IIS and now, I'm getting search results.

I'll have to see if it stays fixed.

ncjks
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:00 AM