none
I can not forward or reply to Infopath forms while they are open (Outlook 2010)

Question

• Our users get the "the operation failed" message when trying to forward/reply to an infopath form sent to an Outlook 2010 computer.  There are a few work arounds I have found but I am looking for a fix.  You can press reply or forward to an e-mail containing the infopath form if you do not double click to open the email first.  This error also only happends when the reading pane is turned off.  Open a email with an infopath form with the reading pane on and you can reply/forward it perfectly.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:43 PM

All replies

• Jared, did you ever get this resolved?  I'm having the exact same problem but only with one user in our company.  Everyone else including myself can do this but then again, I do have my reading pane turned on.

This user is also having the problem when they receive forms and they try to use the "Send Form" option via e-mail.  That option is grayed out, yet if they create a form and try to send it then it works...it's only when they receive forms from someone else.

I can't find anything online that addresses these issues.

Thanks

Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:45 PM
  • I had a case open with Microsoft, which we paid for, for literally 5 months.  He finally did something with the form that seemed to fix it in most cases.  Now the problem is back again and I just have everyone keep their reading pane open.  If it's only 1 form having the problem, I'd suggest completely re-doing it and publish the new form.
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:51 PM
  • Ok, I figured this would be something I would have to get with Microsoft on as well.  The problem with editing or recreating, etc. the form is that the form works fine for everyone else, it's only for this user.

I find it hard to believe that everyone uses the Reading Pane except this one user but it's possible.  To me that's a bug and users should be able to choose to turn off their reading pane, but in this case I'm hoping the user is ok with the workaround of just enabling the reading pane when forwarding the form on and then switching it back to off.

I have another problem and that is this user cannot "Send Form" when receiving these forms from others but she can use this feature when she's creating a new form.  Very odd indeed, but she also doesn't use this function much since most of the forms she deals with is on the receiving end and forwarding them on to someone else.

Thanks for the reply and info.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:49 PM
  • I got the same problem with some InfoPath forms that had been created in Infopath 2003 and now giving me problem with InfoPath 2010 and Outlook 2010. Few forms giving the ' the operation failed' message.

I started working on the form by deleting fields and testing the form. The final result is .... As soon as I deleted the Company Logo Pic from the header the InfoPath form stop doing ' the operation failed'.

P.S> When I have turned on the reading pane of Outlook 2010 the form even with Company Logo started to work properly but it was just a work around. By deleting Pic or Pic with the container with picture resolved the problem permanently.

P.S.S If you do have a problem with just one or few users check out if they have the same Service Pack for Microsoft Office as other users. We had run on this kind of problem.

• Edited by eugeneusa Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:43 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Can you explain in detail how this entry actually looks like within the XML InfoPath form, so that when I edit it within Notepad I know exactly what section to remove?

As for Service Packs, yes all of our users are on the same level.

Once you confirm this step, I will try this and see if it resolves the problem with this one user.  Then again, this user is about to get switched out to a new workstation with Windows 7 Pro instead of XP Pro, so hopefully this won't be an issue on the new machine.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:32 PM
  • I don't think we have the same issue. In my case none of the users were able to forward the form. By deleting company logo I was able to fix this problem. I just open the infopath form in design mode and simply deleted the company logo pic. I did not go to XML behind the scene.
    In you case there is something about particular user's PC or software installed on his mashine. Ask him to login to any other PC on the floor and check out if he would be able to handle InfoPath form from other PC.

May be it's will give some directions. If he would be able to do it from other mashine. I would just reinstall the Microsoft Office for him.  I would also check his permissions on the network in Active Directory may be  he doesn't belong to particular group or something. So it's would be his profile vs any other good profile.

Monday, July 23, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Yes, you're correct...we certainly don't have the same issue but in the past when dealing with a similar InfoPath 2003 issue that I had it took an uninstall and reinstall of Office and a registry hack to fix it.

Since this user will be changing workstation soon and moving to Windows 7 then it's going to be a clean install of InfoPath 2010 anyway, so it should be resolved at that time.

Thanks for the info.

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:03 PM