none
Invalid field name when connecting web parts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i want do connect (filter) two webparts on the display-form of an "external list"-item.

E.g.:

When i try to  configure the connection, i get the following error:

System.ArgumentException: Invalid field name. {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}  /sho/Lists/TechEdit_Projects    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFieldCollection.GetFieldById(Guid fieldId, Boolean bThrowException)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.get_Item(Guid fieldId)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.ListFormRowProviderInterface.FireMainIfAppropriate()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.ListFormWebPart.PartCommunicationMain()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.Communication.PartCommunicationPhase.Invoke()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.Communication.ConnectionRuntime.FirePartCommunicationMain()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.ActivateV2Connections()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.ActivateV2ConnectionsAndSharePointDataFetch()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.ActivateConnections()     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPartManager.OnPageLoadComplete(Object sender, EventArgs e)     at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.Page.OnLoadComplete(EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I dont get any further detailed information, which fieldname is invalid.

This worked on SharePoint 2010.

One difference is, on SP13 there are the "Created", "Created by", "Last modified" and "Author" below the list-item-fields, with no data.

Anyone tried this and got this working ?

Monday, June 20, 2016 7:15 AM

Answers

• Workaround:

Change the automatically generated webpart "WebPartPages:ListFormWebPart" with "WebPartPages:XsltListFormWebPart" (copy from standard list) and change the attributes "ListName" and "ListId".

Now you can add list-webparts to the DispForm.aspx and set filter-values coming from the XsltListFormWebPart.

• Marked as answer by Thomas Stessl Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:31 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Thomas Stessl,

I have reproduced your issue.

In SharePoint 2013, we are not able to connect an external web part to a list web part on DispForm.aspx. As a workaround, create a connection between two web parts on all items page. Then, filter items based on the item selected in external list.

Besides, the columns in external list, such as Last Modified field, will be empty. SharePoint Workspace is not able to provide an item count or last modified date for an external list because this data is not stored in SharePoint.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:53 AM
  • Hi Linda,

thx for the feedback.

Unfortunately the workaround is not sufficent for our needs, because the displayed detail-data is more complex then in a master-detail-list-view -> e.g.

Will this eventually be fixed ?
    With SP10 it was possible to connect this two webparts.

It is very disappointing, because with this functionallity it was really easy to create good looking display-forms.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:47 AM
  • Hi Thomas Stessl,

I have tried it in SharePoint RTM and SharePoint server with May 2016 CU. We cannot connect an external list to another web part on DispForm.aspx on both servers.

In this situation, a thought is that, using Query String Filter Web Part to filter list based on the parameters in URL. Or using JavaScript to filter list items.

Information about using Query String Web Part.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Connect-a-Query-String-URL-Filter-Web-Part-to-another-Web-Part-8fd0107f-4889-451b-a7f7-d1996e12a8d1?CorrelationId=9941c207-9692-4843-b17f-3b94f632e3a4&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:00 AM
  • Workaround:

Change the automatically generated webpart "WebPartPages:ListFormWebPart" with "WebPartPages:XsltListFormWebPart" (copy from standard list) and change the attributes "ListName" and "ListId".

Now you can add list-webparts to the DispForm.aspx and set filter-values coming from the XsltListFormWebPart.

• Marked as answer by Thomas Stessl Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:31 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:31 AM
  • What do you mean when you say copy from standard list? Every list that we have on our site seems to have WebPartPages:ListFormWebPart and not WebPartPages:XsltListFormWebPart.
    Monday, June 3, 2019 7:24 PM
  • In my case, SharePoint always inserts "WebPartPages:ListFormWebPart" when i try to insert an external-listview to an display-form.
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 1:24 PM
  • Open a from the list in "Advanced View" in SP-Designer. There should be the web-part from the type "WebPartPages:XsltListFormWebPart".
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:47 PM