none
Installation of updates 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to install updates on SharePoint 2016.
    The steps are as follows:
    1. Create a backup of the farm and databases;
    2. Install updates for SharePoint;
    3. Disable the distributed cache service;
    4. Disable search service
    5. Applying updates using PSCONFIG.EXE -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures -cmd secureresources -cmd services -install;
    6. After applying the update, I perform the update using the script (https://docs.microsoft.com/ru-ru/sharepoint/upgrade-and-update/update-workflow-in-sharepoint-server-2013);
    9. Turn all services back;

Which services should I disable before installing updates?
    Updates have not been made for a long time. Can I install immediately in 2019 or should I put everything in 2018? 
    • Edited by Nabi05 Wednesday, February 27, 2019 9:09 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Nabi05,

Per my experience, we will not disable the service before installing the updates in SharePoint 2016.

And you should check the system requirement and install instructions of the updates.

You could install the latest CU for SharePoint 2016. And there is no need to install all 2018 CUs.

By default, the latest CU will contain previous CUs.

More reference:

Your Guide to SharePoint Updates

https://comparex.com/en/blog/all-articles/2017/11/23/your-guide-to-sharepoint-updates

Patching and SharePoint Server 2016 Cumulative Updates.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/patching-sharepoint-server-2016-cumulative-updates-shane-young

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 4:40 AM
  • As I understand it, I can apply the installed updates using the PSCONFIG.EXE command without disabling any services?
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:43 AM
  • Hi Nabi05,

Yes, you can apply the installed updates using the PSCONFIG.EXE command without disabling any services.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:49 AM
  • Hi Nabi05,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, March 1, 2019 11:17 AM