none
Prevent users from accessing SharePoint designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I understand that SharePoint Designer can be disabled from the site collection level, however, is there a way to disable SharePoint Designer in certain team sites?  I have multiple team sites where I'm ok with SharePoint Designer being accessible to the site owner but there are other sites, where having designer tool accessible could cause issues.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi ITchel,

You can create a custom permission level that untick “User Remote Interfaces” permission. Then grant this permission level with users in certain subsites.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:17 AM

All replies

• I am confused you mean you need for the subsites ? for site collections you can disable at Site Actions -> Site Settings -> SharePoint Designer Settings there Uncheck Enable SharePoint Designer that won't let anyone to open sites in SharePoint Designer unless he is Site Collection Admin. but if you are planning for some subsites in same site colection then i don't think that's possible.

sharath aluri

Friday, November 15, 2019 12:44 AM
  • Yes. I meant sub sites.
    Friday, November 15, 2019 2:18 AM
  • Looks like you would have to do that with some permission magic. Marc Anderson has a good blog on the subject. Below articles for your references:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/0778d0c5-96da-4aa3-b3ce-5546934e3a5a/restricting-sharepoint-designer-access-to-a-subsite?forum=sharepointcustomizationlegacy

https://sympmarc.com/2009/04/03/restricting-sharepoint-designer-access/

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:51 AM
  • Hi ITchel,

You can create a custom permission level that untick “User Remote Interfaces” permission. Then grant this permission level with users in certain subsites.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:17 AM
  • Hi ITchel,

Is there any update?

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Hi Grace,

Where is the "User Remote Interfaces" permission located?

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Go to Site Actions -> Site Settings -> Site Permissions on the top click on Permission Level and click on the Permission Level that you were assigned for your Group and the Uncheck the User Remote Interfaces and click on Submit.

Below is the direct url for contribute permission level:

https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/global/_layouts/15/role.aspx - This takes directly to permission levels

https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/global/_layouts/15/editrole.aspx?role=Contribute - This takes directly to edit the permission level of Contribute

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:04 PM
  • Thank you
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:17 PM
  • Hi ITchel,

Thanks for marking my reply as answer. I’m pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. I hope you are delighted with the service we provided you.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

[Prevent users from accessing SharePoint designer]

Environment

====================

SharePoint 2016

Question

====================

ITchel  wants to know if there is a way to disable SharePoint Designer in certain team sites.

Solution

====================

I suggest to create a custom permission level that untick “User Remote Interfaces” permission. Then grant this permission level with users in certain subsites.

Sharath provide the detailed information about how to untick “User Remote Interfaces” permission:

Go to Site Actions -> Site Settings -> Site Permissions on the top click on Permission Level and click on the Permission Level that you were assigned for your Group and the Uncheck the User Remote Interfaces and click on Submit.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:48 AM