Invalid External Adress after changing display name RRS feed

  • Question

  • I recently installed Azure Connect and as part of the installation I was prompted to use IDFix to correct AD errors.  A number of our users had blank Display Names.  Adding in the name seemed harmless, but now all of the Exchange mailboxes are giving me an error that the mailbox is corrupted and that the external email address is invalid.  It using the display name I entered in IDFix as the email address.  I cannot find where this is set in any of the property dialogs, they all show the valid email address.  Where can I change or fix this?  

    When I try to login with OWA, I get this....

    Url: https://remote.flybyfoy.com:443/owa/forms/premium/StartPage.aspx
    User host address:
    User: John Smith
    EX Address: /o=First Organization/ou=first administrative group/cn=Recipients/cn=johns
    SMTP Address: johns@company.com
    OWA version: 14.1.438.0
    Mailbox server: Server.company.local

    Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.DataValidationException
    Exception message: ExternalEmailAddress has an invalid value: "John Smith" isn't a valid SMTP address. The domain name can't contain spaces and it has to have a prefix and a suffix, such as example.com.

    Call stack
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADSession.ObjectsFromEntries(SearchResultEntryCollection entries, String originatingServerName, IEnumerable`1 properties, ADRawEntry dummyInstance, CreateObjectDelegate objectCtor, CreateObjectsDelegate arrayCtor)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADSession.Find(ADObjectId rootId, String optionalBaseDN, ADObjectId readId, QueryScope scope, QueryFilter filter, SortBy sortBy, Int32 maxResults, IEnumerable`1 properties, CreateObjectDelegate objectCreator, CreateObjectsDelegate arrayCreator, Boolean includeDeletedObjects)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADSession.Read(ADObjectId entryId, IEnumerable`1 properties, CreateObjectDelegate objectCtor)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.Recipient.ADRecipientSession.Read(ADObjectId entryId)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.Utilities.ShouldRenderExpiringPasswordInfobar(UserContext userContext, Int32& daysToExpiration)
    ASP.forms_premium_messageview_ascx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
    ASP.forms_premium_startpage_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
    System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)


    • Edited by MBevacqua Monday, June 15, 2020 7:05 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2020 6:58 PM

All replies

  • Figured it out....  There was no "ExternalAddress" object for the mailbox or user when getting them in Exchange shell, but getting the AD User with powershell showed a property called "Target Address".  This was set to the display name by either the "IDFix" program or during the AD Connect installation.  I used a script to clear the property on all users, and now things seem to be OK.
    Monday, June 15, 2020 8:32 PM
  • Hi MBevacqua,

    Glad to see that this question has been solved now, thanks for your sharing, and I suggest that you mark it as an answer, which can help other forum users who have similar problems.


    Kyle Xu

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, June 16, 2020 2:00 AM