none
SharePoint Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Not sure how best to explain my question, but here goes.

I need to create an approval workflow in SharePoint 2016 on-premises. A user needs to be able to create a new fallible PDF from a document library which they fill out. Once they have completed their steps, and saved the PDF back to the document library the workflow needs to email the next person who opens a link to the fallible PDF so they can read, sign and save back. This process gets repeated until final approval. On final approval we will have the final document with all approvers’ amendments which we can print.

I hope the above makes some sense. Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Kieran

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 1:16 PM

All replies

• A PDF is just a document. It can be checked-out and in, and have workflows created upon it.

SharePoint will never know anything about the inside contents of the document, but you can key off metadata fields in the library.

Steve Clark, MCTS
    Easy Bins Roll-off Dumpster Rentals in Northern VA
    Specializing in:
    Driveway-sized, roll-off dumpster rentals in Fairfax VA | Dumpster Rentals for Junk Hauling in Springfield VA
    Roll-off Rental Dumpsters in Annandale, VA

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:35 PM
  • Hi Kieran,

You can create a workflow using “assign a task” action for each approver. User can get the document link in the task notification email, and the new approve task will send to another user after the previous user updates the PDF file and approve the task.

Besides, go to the workflow settings->start options->select "start workflow automatically when an item is created" in SharePoint Designer.

Here is a demo:

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by croute1 Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:27 PM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:07 AM
  • Hi Kieran,

Is there any update?

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 16, 2018 7:47 AM
  • Hi Kieran,

I’m checking how the things are going on.

You can mark the post as answer if it helps to help other community members to find the information quickly.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Friday, February 23, 2018 1:46 AM