none
How to get Retention Policy to Activate? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have constructed a workflow within a library and have created a retention policy for that library to trigger this workflow.  I have attempted to activate the Retention Policy by Creating a New Document, Declaring a Doc as a Record, etc.  I have also tried setting the retention policies to activate and/or repeat on a daily and weekly basis'.  Nothing works!

I have waited for over two weeks and have seen no Retention Policies activate and start my workflow. These two Timer Jobs are set to run on a Default of Weekly:

■Information management policy

■Expiration policy

I do not have access to Central Admin and cannot recieve access to change these timer jobs.

I know that I have to wait a week to see my Retention Policies perform, but I have not. Are there another variables invovled that mmay be preventing these Retention Policies to work? Should I be setting my Retention Policies to activate and/or repeat on a weekly basis SINCE my Timer Jobs are set to run on a weekly basis?

PLEASE, If you have any suggestions please let me know?

Thank you!

Jerry

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:50 PM

All replies

• I have done this before by setting three-state workflow. You would have to have "three-state" metadata field. This worklow generates an email when the document reaches an expiration date which is a metadata field.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:35 PM
  • What is your retention policy? What is the trigger to launch the workflow?

The retention policy usually executes if a certain column has reached your expiration. If that expiration date has been reached and the timer job is executed (done automatically) then the next action is started. In this case, it's your workflow.

What does your workflow do? Checks for a condition? Action?

Also check out http://spdactivities.codeplex.com/ to extend SPD workflow capabilities.

Benjamin Niaulin Blog: http://bniaulin.wordpress.com

Twitter: @bniaulin

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Hi Ben,

1. I am using a Library Retention Policy but have tried using the Content Type Retention policies as well.
    2. My trigger to launch the workflow is date set to +1 Days but i have tried all of the others as well.
    3. My Expiration policy is set to 1 week by default and cannot be changed.
    4. My workflow basically sends out a notification email to a group of employees. I am using the Retention Policy as a means to make this workflow repeat. I dont think my workflow has anything to do with my Retention Policy not activating.

Below is a Retention Policy I have set. I may be going wrong by setting my trigger to +1 days when my Expiration Policy Timer Job is set to Weekly.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:27 PM
  • I have done this before by setting three-state workflow. You would have to have "three-state" metadata field. This worklow generates an email when the document reaches an expiration date which is a metadata field.

Hi,

I have an approval workflow attached to my retention policy. I have set up a date column and have set my trigger in my Retention policy as date. I was told this should work.

Will using a three state workflow with a metadata column really make a difference?

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:31 PM