none
Office 2010 x64 - There is no email program associated to perform the requested action.

Question

• Greetings!

Win7 x64 & Office 2010 x64 professional with SP1. When we try to send mail using 3rd party program a message appears:
    There is no email program associated to perform the requested action.
    Please install an email program or, if One is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

If we do this in x86 version it works like a charm. I did a lot of Googling&Binging, but no sucessfully solution found yet.

1. I checked in WIN7 default programs that Outlook is set up as a default program.
    2. Downloaded MicrosoftFIXIT (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813745), not solved the problem.
    3. Tried this 3rd solution and still not working:

Run REGEDIT and goto:
     [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail]
    Right-click and create a new key called Outlook64Bridge
    Then right-click Outlook64Bridge and create two keys under it DLLPath and DLLPathEx

Find the 32 bit version of the file MAPI32.dll and assign the whole qualified pathname to each key, mine were:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook64Bridge\DLLPath
    "D:\WINDOWS\system32\mapi32.dll"
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook64Bridge\DLLPathEx
    "D:\WINDOWS\system32\mapi32.dll"

Then go back to the root key name and show the default client as Outlook64Bridge
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail
    "Outlook64Bridge"

ANY OTHER SUGGESTION? I would like to avoid unistalling x64 version of Office in our company. That would lead to uninstall 50-60 pc's.

with best regards,

bostjanc

Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:27 AM

Answers

• Hi guys. Thanks for your concerne, we have managed to solve the problem by making a VBS script.

We can close this case.

With best regards,

bostjanc

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hello Bostjanc,

Thank you for your post.

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 19, 2012 7:41 AM
  • hi guys,

sorry for being inpatiance but is there any helpful solution for this problem?

with best regards,

bostjanc

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Hello Bostjan,

It definately seems like the 3rd party program you mentioned has problems integrating with Office 2010 x64.  Overall, Microsoft's recommended best practice is to use the 32-bit version of Office 2010 unless you have a compelling reason to use 64-bit version.  I would recommend you remove Office 2010 x64, and replace it with Office 2010 x86, which you have already acknowledged does not have the incompatibility. 

The other option you have is contact the 3rd party program vendor, and either seek a fix from them, or have them open a service request with Microsoft, so that the incompatibility in their program could be identified, and possibly fixed.

Thanks,

RKeith - [MSFT]

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Uninstalling Office x64 and installing Office x86 can be pain in the ass. After uninstalling Office x64 it requires system to be rebooted, not to mention that the hole process uninstall/install takes about 30 mins per user. This 3rd party software is our internal software which is using Corel Paradox.

We are trying to do some workaround:

outlook.exe /c ipm.note /m "email@email.com&subject=test subject&body=test body"

bostjanc

Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:18 AM
  • Hello Bostjan,

Since the application is your own, then your next step should be to engage our Developer Support teams, so that they can assist you with any available workarounds, or code changes required to be compatible.  In order to properly track this issue and to updated you on the progress of the request, please open a support case with us.  For details on doing so, please see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone.

When you open the case, please include the URL to this thread so that the technician can be aware of the details we discussed.  Thank you for providing all of these details.  I hope that we can find a solution for you.  Once you get an answer from that case, be sure to update this thread for others to see what the outcome was.

Thank you,

RKeith - [MSFT]

Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hi guys. Thanks for your concerne, we have managed to solve the problem by making a VBS script.

We can close this case.

With best regards,

bostjanc

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. Picasa cannot call Outlook x64 for sending pictures attached to an eMail.

So, what was that VBS script and can I use that to solve my problem, and if so, how?

Thank you.

GT

• Edited by GT-Force Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:53 PM
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:53 PM