none
"From" field changed to email address from Name RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, There is an external mass e-mail service we utilize and everything worked fine until recently. Now, instead of receiving e-mail from name like "Monthly Newsletter" in the from field in Outlook, the "raw" email shows up do.not.reply@domain-name.com. Other e-mails than the mass e-mail service, the "From" box shows still name rather e-mail address. In the meantime, I was trying to decommission old Exchange 2003 server through which emails were flowing to Exchange 2010. I'm curious if this caused the problem. If so, I'm not sure where on Exchange 2010 I can correct it. Also, could this be controlled on the sending end so we would need to contact the mass email vendor to correct it? Thank you.

Friday, November 7, 2014 4:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• This should be controlled when the email is generated. I would contact the vendor to add whatever names you want to be displayed (unless this is something you're supposed to be submitting to them in some form).

Here's a thread that shows an example with the headers used:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/bedf8d62-30c3-4641-ac4e-d0791f8bf85f/sending-mail-through-telnet-use-friendly-name

Friday, November 7, 2014 6:34 PM
  • Hi Mtler,

Agree with jsdak, it is controlled by the send end, you should contact the vendor to correct it .

Best regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by MTLER1 Monday, November 10, 2014 5:17 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MTLER1 Monday, November 10, 2014 6:30 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 9:38 AM
  • The e-mail can be generated by our sales team so I asked them to run a test. I received it fine to my personal mailbox but it comes as from do.not.reply@domain-name.com. I still believe it has something to do with decommissioning my old Exchange 2003 box but I'm not sure where to correct it on the new Exchange 2010. Thank you.

Monday, November 10, 2014 6:34 PM
  • Is this issue happening only to this application or to everybody else?

Depending on you reply, we can define if its related to old Exchange or not.

But its most likely to re related to the way the two application used to communicate to each other, if the real problem be related to old Exchange.

Cheers,

Think before you ask, give detail as much as possible, then ask and you will get help! Always have in mind, people do not guess! :)

Monday, November 10, 2014 6:42 PM
  • Yes, I see it happening only to this application so at this point I'm really w/o a clue.
    Monday, November 10, 2014 8:40 PM
  • There is also something unique about it, the third party mass mail system uses my company's domain name. So e-mail sent out come as do.not.reply@mycompanydomainname.com instead of MonthlyNewsletter@mycompanydomainname.com. On our end we whitelisted third party IP so it is not filtered as spoofed emails.
    Monday, November 10, 2014 8:52 PM
  • Just to clarify, when you say you "received it fine to my personal mailbox", do you mean a separate mailbox not hosted on your company email server? And it still came in as 'do.not.reply' there?

How does the sales team generate these emails?

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:32 PM
  • Correct, by personal mailbox I mean my private email mailbox not hosted on my company's server. It comes to my private mailbox correctly as MonthlyNewsletter@mycompanydomainname.com. The sales person goes to a web portal provided by the mass mail company provider, enters recipients as well as where it is coming from. She's done it many times and it worked well until recently. "MonthlyNewsletter" she enters somewhere in the field as she's done it several times. Hope this helps.
    Friday, November 14, 2014 6:34 PM
  • Could you show an excerpt from the message header on one of the emails, so we can see what exists there in the "From" field, compared to what the Outlook users are seeing? You could also include the same from the header you see from your personal email account, to make sure nothing is getting altered/stripped out.
    Friday, November 14, 2014 7:00 PM