none
Open Sharepoint File Launches application to Open Dialog RRS feed

• Question

• We are experiencing the following behavior on one machine in our group. The environment is SharePoint Online 2013, with libraries synchronized to the user PC. User PC is Windows 8.1 with Office 2013.

When you double-click a SharePoint file to open it, it launches the appropriate Office program, but it launches to the "Open" dialog (open local file, use a template, etc.)

If you close the program (Word, Excel, Visio, etc.) and double-click the file again to open it, it typically opens properly. On some occasions, it behaves as described above again.

Once the file is successfully opened, it opens properly from there forward.

When the file is actually opening, the splash screen indicates it is "downloading" the file, and there is a delay. The file is actually synchronized and has a local copy.

If you open a true local copy of any MS file format (not in a synchronized folder), the files open properly.

I suspect this is an issue with the office document cache or something, but I find no fix for this behavior.

Monday, January 19, 2015 3:59 PM

All replies

• try these links:

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/122609/open-a-link-of-excel-with-the-dialog-popup-window-in-quick-launch-sharepoint-201

http://blog.sharedove.com/adisjugo/index.php/2012/09/29/open-sharepoint-files-in-edit-mode-from-client-applications-and-not-read-only/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark as answer if you find it useful else vote for it if it is close to answer..happy sharepointing

Monday, January 19, 2015 5:22 PM
    • Is it happening with those files which created by OWA "+ New" files as well?
    • Which office version has been used to Create those files
    • Can you save as those file to latest 2013 format and see the behavior?
    • is it happening with all user / or all system?
    • What licence model you have E1/2/3/4

I am just tying to isolate the issue? 

Please 'propose as answer' if it helped you, also 'vote helpful' if you like this reply.

Monday, January 19, 2015 6:52 PM