none
Outlook 2016 downloading duplicate attachments in Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• When a user copies attachments from Outlook 2016 to a folder on the server the attachment gets pasted twice (Duplicated).
    e.g. atttachment.pdf, atttachment(1).pdf
    This is happening on Outlook 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote desktop server.
    The server has multiple users and it is only happening on one users profile.
    This happens on all attachments. I occurs when items are copied using Ctrl + V and mouse clicks.

Copy and paste appear to be working fine on other MS Office products such as word and Excel. (I have checked the mouse buttons and have tried this other mice)
    I have recreated the mail profile several times, Repaired office, installed all updates, deleted items in the OLK folder and also changed the location of the OLK folder to folder that already exists and that the user has full permissions on, deleted the users windows profile from system with no luck.

I'm hoping someone can shed light on this before I completely recreate the user's mailbox.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>This is happening on Outlook 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote desktop server.
    The server has multiple users and it is only happening on one users profile.
    This happens on all attachments. I occurs when items are copied using Ctrl + V and mouse clicks.<<

Do you mean the issue happens to all type attachments in Outlook, attached Excel file, Word documents, Text or PDF files? How did you copy an attachment from Outlook to your Windows Explorer? If possible, please shared the detailed steps.

In your Outlook 2016, please click the Outlook attachment, save as it to your Windows Explorer and confirm if duplicated files are saved. Additionally, please start Outlook in safe mode (Press Win+R to open Run in Windows, type Outlook /safe, press Enter), confirm if the issue can be reproduced when copy/paste attachments from Outlook.

If you want to narrow down if the issue is related to this specific user's mailbox, please try to setup this user mailbox in another user's profile since you mentioned that "The server has multiple users and it is only happening on one users profile".

Any updates on your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

This is happening to all type attachments in Outlook 2016. The attachments were copied using the following methods: Ctrl+C; mouse right click+Copy; Save-AS; Drag and drop. with all of these duplicates are created.

The issue still occurs in safe mode. It is not happening in OWA.

I created the mail profile on a different user's session on the same server and the issue occurs.

I've also created the mailbox on two other separate PCs that have Outlook 2016 installed. The issue still occurs.

Created the mail profile on Outlook 2010 and 2013 no duplicates are created here. And all is fine.

Not sure if the issue is Outlook or the mailbox anymore.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:06 PM
  • Hi,

>>I created the mail profile on a different user's session on the same server and the issue occurs.

I've also created the mailbox on two other separate PCs that have Outlook 2016 installed. The issue still occurs.<<

I noticed that the issue persists on the same computer with different user account and different computers. To do further analysis, I suggest we can try to repair the mailbox and move this specific mailbox to another database in Exchange server side. Then confirm if the issue can be fixed.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

We are having the same problem this month on some of our terminal servers..
    Same setup, Office 2016 with Server 2012R2.
    All users are affected with this "bug".

We also have the issue that attachments are not always sent with the mail, maybe thats related?
    We already have done the following without any

* Reinstalled Office 2016 (even used MS fixit to really clean) and updated it.
    * Run SFC /scannow
    * Disabled all plugins
    * Run outlook in safe mode

My next step will be to remove the latest Windows Updates, because it started like a month ago.

Monday, November 21, 2016 12:01 PM
  • After removing both KB3118293 & KB3127912 from my test system, the problem seems to be gone.

I`m going to remove them from my production systems now to check if that also resolves the issues my customers are experiencing.

*Update

After removing them from my customer systems, the problem is resolved.
    Also the problem of attachments missing when mail is sent is solved
    I`m going to block the updates in WUS now.

Monday, November 21, 2016 1:19 PM
  • The missing attachments issue is not solved by removing these updates.. I will open a new topic for this error
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Hi Everyone

Thank you for your help. I ended up uninstalling the updates below and this resolved the issue.

KB3118375

KB3118293

Friday, December 2, 2016 11:29 AM