UEFI Boot order options missing from Hyper-V host RRS feed

• Question

• I have two 2012R2 Hyper-V Hosts. On one of the hosts, I have no options to set UEFI Boot order, either on existing virtual machines, or on new ones. On the other host, all options are available. I have a series of powershell commands I run to create a Gen 2 VM.  Here is the output from the good Hyper-V host:

Here's the output from the bad host:

I am unable to add any boot entries, or modify:

Set-VMFirmware : The operation is not available.

So, something is wrong with this particular Hyper-V host, but I don't know what to troubleshoot - any ideas?

Monday, November 30, 2015 8:31 PM

Answers

• I removed the Hyper-V role completely, rebooted, re-added it again and rebooted, and now the options are there. I just wish I didn't have to do that, this was a fresh server build.
    • Marked as answer by agressiv Thursday, December 3, 2015 3:33 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:32 AM

All replies

• What about when you create the VM using the GUI?

The reason I ask is that it is possible to create a Generation 2 VM without boot devices through a script (I did it long ago).

I totally screwed up some Generation 2 VMs by not handling the boot devices properly as objects, I handled them as strings and dorked up a few VMs.  In a way that I could not recover.  The boot devices are only generated at VM creation time, adding them after VM creation in a script is not straightforward.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Monday, November 30, 2015 10:04 PM
  • I had tried that as well - no difference; sill no boot options possible.  It will still function (and boot to network by default if there is no Operating System loaded) - but I cannot boot from a DVD at all if there is already an OS loaded since I cannot adjust the boot order.
    Monday, November 30, 2015 11:04 PM
  • Hmmm..

Then it almost smells of WMI corruption / missing WMI data.

Is your console local to or remote of the 'bad' server?

And when you are local to the 'bad' Hyper-V Server do you get any boot devices returned at all using PowerShell?

Since Set- is a change action, I am more curious about the Get-VM that actually boots but has the boot order devices missing in the GUI.

If they are missing from the VM object all-together (not just malformed) then I would not expect the VM to boot at all.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:02 AM
  • I removed the Hyper-V role completely, rebooted, re-added it again and rebooted, and now the options are there. I just wish I didn't have to do that, this was a fresh server build.
    • Marked as answer by agressiv Thursday, December 3, 2015 3:33 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:32 AM
  • There is a known issue with HP management agents hijacking Hyper-V WMI traffic.  And other reports that I have seen recently with Server 2016 and WMI.

So, the WMI stack not being setup properly is not a surprise, but then again, it is.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:37 AM
  • I also see this problem on my BL460c GEN8 Windows Server 2016 hosts with latest support pack from HPE. anyone got a working workaround? 

Regards, Danny

Friday, November 25, 2016 10:00 AM
  • We also have this issue with 2012 R2 HP hosts and can confirm the fix is at the very least a Hyper-V role removal and reinstall. On one of our "broken" lab hosts I was able to leave the existing HP agents installed without issue after Hyper-V role reinstall, so it's only an issue if you install/upgrade the HP WMI software after the Hyper-V role is installed. Would love to know if there is an HP/MS fix without needing role re-installs and if it's just a bug with a certain version of the HP software or all.

Anyone know if this happens with Server 2016 too?

Sean

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 12:03 AM
  • an issue if you install/upgrade the HP WMI software after the Hyper-V role is installed. Would love to know if there is an HP/MS fix without needing role re-installs and if it's just a bug with a certain version of the HP software or all.

Anyone know if this happens with Server 2016 too?

Sean

Yes, still an issue with server 2016. Just happened to me after running HP SPP on a host

Andrew

Friday, March 9, 2018 4:25 AM
  • Same here with the 2017.10 en 2018.03 SPP on server 2016, we had to do a reinstall with Server 2012R2 to get our VM's running again, this was on a DL380 Gen9 server.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 5:49 PM
  • Did anyone ever figure out an easier way to fix this than uninstalling and reinstalling the Hyper-V role?
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:52 PM