none
WSS 3.0 Restore from data files RRS feed

• Question

• I have a corrupt installation so I set up a new server with Windows Server 2003 and WSS 3.0.  I'd like to recover my data from the old installation but can't seem to locate the files that I need to copy over.  When this happened once before, I know there were two files that we recovered.  Does anyone know what these are?  Thank you!! - Mark in Raleigh, NC
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 2:00 PM

Answers

• On your old WSS3.0 Server (for Single Server installation) you can find those files :  mdf and ldf (Eg. WSS_Content.MDF and WSS_Content_log.LDF) at the following location :

C:\Windows\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Data

(In case if it doesn't allow you to copy these files, stop the SQL instance/service and copy them. Start the the instance back after you have copied them

commands for SQL

net stop MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE
    net start MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE)

• Marked as answer by MJ_Raleigh Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:21 AM
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 10:16 PM

All replies

• On your old WSS3.0 Server (for Single Server installation) you can find those files :  mdf and ldf (Eg. WSS_Content.MDF and WSS_Content_log.LDF) at the following location :

C:\Windows\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Data

(In case if it doesn't allow you to copy these files, stop the SQL instance/service and copy them. Start the the instance back after you have copied them

commands for SQL

net stop MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE
    net start MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE)

• Marked as answer by MJ_Raleigh Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:21 AM
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 10:16 PM
  • HI,

Take backup of your existing databases and restore them in the new environment. Attach them to the application and before this create same managed paths.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:07 AM
  • Actually, no services need to be stopped to perform this.  All I had to do was to unmount the database, copy the files and remount the database in the location you mentioned.  Thanks!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:24 AM