none
How to Install Sharepoint 2010 or 2013 in windows 10 operating system ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to install Sharepoint 2013 in windows 10 operating system. It was asking about 2008 r2 service pack2 or higher.

How can get it and Install in my system ?

Thursday, December 17, 2015 10:20 AM

Answers

• can't.

shouldn't.

don't.

SharePoint is designed and meant to run on a SERVER operating system. Use virtual machines if necessary, but don't run it on a CLIENT OS.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Friday, December 18, 2015 2:53 PM
  • Hi Maruthi

SP2013 is not designed to run on client operating systems but SP2010 supported installation on windows 7. Here's a quick guide on how to install hyper-v in windows 10:

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-enable-configure-and-use-hyper-v-on-windows-10

Once you done with installation, you can go ahead and create a VM with server operating system.

Thanks Mohit

Monday, December 21, 2015 12:04 PM

All replies

• can't.

shouldn't.

don't.

SharePoint is designed and meant to run on a SERVER operating system. Use virtual machines if necessary, but don't run it on a CLIENT OS.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Friday, December 18, 2015 2:53 PM
  • Then how ? Sharepoint is running windows 7 operating system in my previous machine with help of server service packs. How can i create virtual machine? let me know the ways.

Regards,

P.Maruthi

Monday, December 21, 2015 11:50 AM
  • Hi Maruthi

SP2013 is not designed to run on client operating systems but SP2010 supported installation on windows 7. Here's a quick guide on how to install hyper-v in windows 10:

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-enable-configure-and-use-hyper-v-on-windows-10

Once you done with installation, you can go ahead and create a VM with server operating system.

Thanks Mohit

Monday, December 21, 2015 12:04 PM
  • blah blah blah....not designed to run on client computer....blah blah blah.

for a developer, this is a stupid response.   I could run sp2010 just fine in my windows 7/10 environment FOR DEVELOPMENT PURPOSES.  Kinda dumb that they won't allow it anymore.  So I guess i'll just install sp2010 so I can do development and have all the sharepoint assemblies available.  the api's haven't changed all that much, so it should be ok to write some VS workflows for sharepoint 2010 OR 2013

UGH. 

now that I think about it, i guess sp2013 workflow development is the only thing i wouldn't be able to do.  i.e.: workflow manager and all that newer stuff.

~george

• Edited by Ge0rg3 Friday, August 26, 2016 8:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by DubaStep Monday, June 26, 2017 3:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DubaStep Monday, June 26, 2017 3:46 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2016 7:54 PM
  • blah blah blah....not designed to run on client computer....blah blah blah.

for a developer, this is a stupid response.   I could run sp2010 just fine in my windows 7/10 environment FOR DEVELOPMENT PURPOSES.  Kinda dumb that they won't allow it anymore.  So I guess i'll just install sp2010 so I can do development and have all the sharepoint assemblies available.  the api's haven't changed all that much, so it should be ok to write some VS workflows for sharepoint 2010 OR 2013

UGH. 

now that I think about it, i guess sp2013 workflow development is the only thing i wouldn't be able to do.  i.e.: workflow manager and all that newer stuff.

~george

This.  It's really just a few services and an XML file standing in the way.  The prerequisites can be installed on a client OS.  And there aren't large differences (other than price!) between Windows server and client OS when we are just talking about hardware and software needed to run SharePoint 201x.  All versions up to 2016 can run on Windows 10.  There are guides out there and it is fairly simple to do.  The only reason I would see for running it on a client OS would be for development anyways.  Why use a VM when you can just run it natively?

Edit: I should also include that the method to do so is provided by Microsoft: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee554869%28office.14%29.aspx

• Edited by DubaStep Monday, June 26, 2017 7:01 PM fixed url
    Monday, June 26, 2017 3:50 PM
  • Hi George,

Installation on client OS was allowed for SP2010. But now Microsoft discourages the installation on client OS. Or if somehow, you are able to install SP2013 in Win10 environment, chances are that certain things will be missing or certain features will not work properly. 

And please be noted that there are a huge differences between an SP2010 installation and SP2013 installation with respect to features. Certain features are new in SP2013 such as addins development etc.

Regards.

Talal Shoaib

Friday, February 23, 2018 4:18 PM
  • Hi

Only SharePoint 2010 support in client.

Don't support in client in later version(include SharePoint 2013 and 2016).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    Linyu - SharePoint Engineer
    QQ Group: 72637444

Saturday, February 24, 2018 1:42 AM
  • Hi maruthi pallamalli,

Right, sharepoint 2013 or sharepoint 2016 products cannot be directly installed on a client operating system such as Windows 7, Windows 8 or window 10 but, chief architect at Bamboo Solutions  developed extention supported without using hyper-v.

• This setup requires you be joined to a domain
    • Detail tutorial: http://danhpoint.esy.es/how-to-setup-sharepoint-2013-on-window10-without-hyper-v/

if you want use hyper-v: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wbaer/2012/10/10/setting-up-a-sharepoint-2013-development-environment-101/

Refer: http://www.disruptivei.com

Saturday, February 24, 2018 2:35 PM