none
Sharepoint and Webdav - some missing functionality

Question

• It has been a challenge to find the answer to this.

A user has asked the following:

I seem to have on and off issues renaming anything on the F sharepoint. I can create and delete without issue, but renaming I always throw the error “The file name you specified is not valid or too long”. I can  copy off the sharepoint, rename without issue, and copy back on and it works so it is not the name (I am also not using restricted characters nor extremely long filenames).

For example, I create an new folder “New folder” and try to rename “asdf” but that fails with the above error.

So simply put, this person has webdav access to create but how could they only have limited abilities (not be able to rename) through Sharepoint?  I would think they would have all folder abilities or none at all. 

Is there a setting that allows granular tuning of the webdav environment?  Any settings that control this?

Steven David Taub

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The document library you pointed out has a space (Documents partages) which represents %20 in URL. Can you try doing the same operation in a different document library which doesnt have space and see if the same issue occurs?

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hello Steven,

Can you check -
    1) If you have %20 in the URL?
    2) Does this issue occur when using a specific client machine? i.e. Can you try the same test from different client machine
    3) Does this issue occur on a specific version of Windows OS? i.e. Can you try the same test from a client machine on a different versionof Windows OS

Also, you can read more about Explorer View by downloading the whitepaper - Understanding and Troubleshooting the SharePoint Explorer View
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9981

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah

Monday, June 25, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Hello.

I have exactly the same problem.
    And there is %20 in the URL.

The Helpdesk team asks me to reinstall my PC but for me it's not a solution.

Thank you.

Monday, June 25, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Hello,

%20 represents a space in URL. Do you know if the site name contains %20 or document library name? If you try on a different SharePoint Site / document library which doesnt have %20, does the issue still occur?

Regards,
    Nishant Shah

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Thank you for your answer.

The site name doesn't contain any space but the directory in the site well (https://ateliergestionemeamicrosoftonlinecom-3.sharepoint.emea.microsoftonline.com/Documents%20partages).
    I can't try with another SharePoint site because I'm just a enduser.

As I said, the Helpdesk can't help me.

Best regards.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:29 PM
  • I connected to "https://ateliergestionemeamicrosoftonlinecom-3.sharepoint.emea.microsoftonline.com", so without the %20. Then I went further in
    "/Documents%20partages".
    And by this way, it DOES work.

It's already a half solution. Thank you.
    But do you know why ?

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Hello,

The document library you pointed out has a space (Documents partages) which represents %20 in URL. Can you try doing the same operation in a different document library which doesnt have space and see if the same issue occurs?

Regards,
    Nishant Shah

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:39 PM
  • A colleague experienced exactly the same issue. He could work around it by connecting to the SharePoint site at a higher level in the hierarchy which does not have a space / %20 in the URL and then he can create and rename folders as usual using Windows Explorer / WebDAV. Thanks Nishant! 

Friday, October 25, 2013 7:20 AM