none
Configuring Outlook 2010 auto-archive and PRF questions RRS feed

• Question

• We presently have Office and Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003.

Auto-Archive is turned off for all Citrix users by a Group Policy.

Now we are working on an Office 2010 upgrade which will give everyone new Terminal Server Profiles.

I used the CIW to turn off auto-archive and File/Archive in the Office 2010 installer.

This works fine in my test install.

What about later when we want to use archiving with Exchange 2010??

1) Can we use Group Policy in reverse to turn ON archiving again?? (I know Exchange 2010 has "retention policies".)

2) Or should I change the MSP file to enable Auto-Archiving and continue using Group Policy to turn off auto-archiving, then later change this setting when Exchange 2010 is installed??

We do not have very many or very large Group Policy items being applied to users.

On the PRF, I don't understand where the profiles are stored...I have left the CIW to use the existing profile otherwise prompt the user to create a new one, is this the best path to follow?? Or should I make a PRF?? I have not found anything which enables me to know what is our current PRF to use for comparison, all I know so far is to use Exchange and servername.domainname.local and %UserName% for both account and mailbox names -- I *think* this is the way current profiles are set up.

Thank you, Tom

Friday, July 29, 2011 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

For the 1st question.

Yes, you can use Group Policy to turn ON Auto Archive

\\Microsoft Office Outlook 2010\Outlook Options\Other\AutoArchive\AutoArchive Settings, check the option: Turn on AutoArchive

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:06 AM
  • For the 2nd question.

To deploye Office 2010, I wonder why you still using CIW(Custom Installation Wizard) when we already switch to OCT(Office Customization Tool).

As it is said in the following article, if you plan to make updates to the .prf file for the Outlook 2010 deployment, we recommend that you re-create the .prf file by using the Office Customization Tool (OCT). By using OCT, it will be easy to manage the profiles.

How to Customize Outlook profiles by using an Outlook Profile (PRF) file

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179062.aspx

Also see How to use Office Customization Tool in Office 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097.aspx

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

For the 1st question.

Yes, you can use Group Policy to turn ON Auto Archive

\\Microsoft Office Outlook 2010\Outlook Options\Other\AutoArchive\AutoArchive Settings, check the option: Turn on AutoArchive

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:06 AM
  • For the 2nd question.

To deploye Office 2010, I wonder why you still using CIW(Custom Installation Wizard) when we already switch to OCT(Office Customization Tool).

As it is said in the following article, if you plan to make updates to the .prf file for the Outlook 2010 deployment, we recommend that you re-create the .prf file by using the Office Customization Tool (OCT). By using OCT, it will be easy to manage the profiles.

How to Customize Outlook profiles by using an Outlook Profile (PRF) file

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179062.aspx

Also see How to use Office Customization Tool in Office 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097.aspx

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:21 AM