none
Uptime in Management UI not showing days? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a little confused, but does the Hyper-V Managment Console exclude the number of days a machine has been up for??? 

These machines have been up for more than 4 or 5 days... Is there a way to change this?

Thanks!

Tony

Thursday, October 9, 2014 12:18 PM

Answers

• It does track days, but this uptime meter is not for the guest operating system. It's for the virtual machine. It tracks the amount of time the specified virtual machine has been online on this host. A Live Migration resets the counter, as does any save operation. It also seems that backup operations sometimes reset the counter even when it took a live backup, although I haven't seen consistent evidence of this.

If you need to know how long the guest operating system has been online, you have to ask the guest operating system. You can use something like this.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent blog contributor, not an Altaro employee. I am solely responsible for the content of my posts.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 12:54 PM

All replies

• It does track days, but this uptime meter is not for the guest operating system. It's for the virtual machine. It tracks the amount of time the specified virtual machine has been online on this host. A Live Migration resets the counter, as does any save operation. It also seems that backup operations sometimes reset the counter even when it took a live backup, although I haven't seen consistent evidence of this.

If you need to know how long the guest operating system has been online, you have to ask the guest operating system. You can use something like this.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent blog contributor, not an Altaro employee. I am solely responsible for the content of my posts.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 12:54 PM
  • I am familiar with that WMI class! It is the first thing I check when a user says they are experiencing slowness... I have to explain to them that they need to restart their computers more than every 30+ days... LOL

It's very odd, because now the Hyper-V Console is showing that one machine has an up-time of just over 1 day... So I'm starting to think this is only counting when machines are active? This actually could be a good thing as I have considered putting some VMs in Azure but could not get past the pricing; I didn't think there was a good way to estimate the up-time to get an idea of how much a VM in Azure would cost per month. If this counter is telling me that, I think that's actually a good thing.

Thanks for the response!

Tony

Friday, October 10, 2014 11:20 AM
  • Hi Tony,

If it is Online bakcup , the up-time won't reset (if the vm is  saved state the up-time will be reset) .

Here is a screenshot of my another hyper-v server 2008R2 (VMs have been running more than 16 days):

Best Regards

Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Sunday, October 12, 2014 2:25 PM
  • In the VM settings for all VMs, the Backup (Volume Checkpoint) is checked. Does that mean it is saved state? I can't seem to find any clear documentation. I have read that Saved State is enabled by default and that enabling the Backup (Volume Snapshot) turns off saved state, but this is for 2012. It appears the labeling was changed in 2012 R2. Could they have changed the default behavior as well?

Thanks!

Tony

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:40 PM
  • That check means that it is going to perform an online backup if at all possible. As long as your backup software can work properly with 2012 R2, it will be taken live.

But, that doesn't guarantee that the uptime meter won't be reset anyway. It's not supposed to reset, but sometimes it does. I've seen other people report this and since you opened this thread I've been monitoring my own systems and found that two of my VMs exhibit the same behavior.

The authoritative source for whether or not a VM changed state will be found in Event Viewer under Application and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Hyper-V-Worker -> Admin. Look for telltale events around the time the VM's uptime meter reset. If you don't find anything, then the meter is wrong.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:09 PM
  • Great, thanks!
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:02 PM
  • Nope, thanks!
    Monday, October 27, 2014 4:08 PM
  • Hi all, same on my Severs (6 Hyper-V Hosts). OS: Server 2012 R2 Guest: 2012R2 (no changes to Shadow Copies, just standard installation without any changes) Backup: Veeam (Native Child and Veeam Application aware) Some VMs reset their counter wirh Veeam. No Events for save state in Hyper-V Logs so Backup have to the online. Native Windows Backup does not reset counter. List writers for VMs shows "online" for all VMs. Backup reported success. No VSS Errors or so. Seems to be a bug in Veeam or Windows.

Edit: i´ve tested with Windows Backup again. Windows Backup shows online. Everything seems normal. Uptime switches from over 8 hours to 38 minutes when backup starts. Seems to be a bug.

Thursday, December 25, 2014 10:22 PM