none
Back button in word 2010

Question

• One of the best feature in word 2010 is the "Browse headings" tree that appears on the left side when you search (Ctrl+F) you document.

It will be really great if there is a "back" or "Previous location" or "navigate backward" functionality that can be added so that user can have better experience. (keyboard shortcut if available)

Monday, January 24, 2011 8:06 AM

All replies

• What about the "Previous Heading" button?  Doesn't that do what you are talking about?

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Jamil Haddadin" wrote in message news:d2be9d3e-8b40-4a90-bf2c-e4b91236de28@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

One of the best feature in word 2010 is the "Browse headings" tree that appears on the left side when you search (Ctrl+F) you document.

It will be really great if there is a "back" or "Previous location" or "navigate backward" functionality that can be added so that user can have better experience. (keyboard shortcut if available)

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Monday, January 24, 2011 10:07 AM
  • It seems I didnt explain it will...

Suppose U have the following sectionsL:

1, 1.1, 1.2, 2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.2.1

suppose I click on the document map in the following sequence:

1.1 --> 2.1 --> 1.2 --> 2

what I click on this button, I need to go through this sequence 1.2 then 2.1 then  1.1.

Is it clear now?

Monday, January 24, 2011 11:20 AM
  • Hi Jamil

The UP and DOWN arrows (top right) of pane go backward/forward through the headings - if that is what you mean.

"Jamil Haddadin" wrote in message news:d2be9d3e-8b40-4a90-bf2c-e4b91236de28@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

One of the best feature in word 2010 is the "Browse headings" tree that appears on the left side when you search (Ctrl+F) you document.

It will be really great if there is a "back" or "Previous location" or "navigate backward" functionality that can be added so that user can have better experience. (keyboard shortcut if available)

janine@ribbonspace.com www.ribbonspace.com Documents and Ribbons. Simple Efficient Office Automation.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 11:59 AM
  • thanks for your replays.

Again, your suggestion is similar to the previous one which is using "Previous heading" button.... these arrows allow you to go through the headings "sequantially" but I dont want that. I want to navigate through them according to my last location in a "stack order" based.

let me explain it in an example with more details:

Suppose I have the following headings

1, 1.1, 1.2, 2, 2.1, 2.2, 3, 3.1, 3.2

Suppose my current location was  at 2.1, then i selected (using the mouse pointer) 1.1 then i selected 3.1; What i want to have is the facility of going through the reverse sequence of headings using one button; in other words; I want to click on this "magical button" to go to 1.1 and if click it again i will go to 2.1.

if I go with your suggestion I will go to 3 then 2.2 then 2.1 then 2 then 1.1 then 1 which is the normal sequence...

I wish it is clear now

• Proposed as answer by Lesatik Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:58 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lesatik Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Here is the answer to your question: http://cybertext.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/word-add-a-back-button-to-the-toolbar/

Creating a button in Word 2010 is similar to creating one in Word 2007.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Thank you very much for your reply, but the back button is not working at all and it is always disabled...

I tried that before starting this thread

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:29 PM
  • I agree with Jamil--the back button only works if navigating chapters via links in the document itself. What he and I are trying to do is use Word 2010's Navigation Pane (the list of chapters by default along the left side of the page). If I use the Navigation pane, and click chapter 5, and then chapter 2, I'd like to be able to click "back" and get to chapter 5 again.

This was possible in Word 97/2000/2003 through similar navigation through the "document map" and the back button in the "web toolbar". In Word 2010, the back button remains disabled if a chapter is clicked in the navigation pane.

Bump!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Doug - Where can i locate the previous button in word 2010?

I have bookmarks in my document and I would like for the user to go back to the previous page prior to clicking the bookmark.

thanks!

Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:11 AM
  • Here is another way to understand what is desired: the Word equivalent of the Visual Studio Navigate Backward feature.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:29 PM
  • I am not sure if this has been answered but I found that if you hold ALT+LeftArrowKey it will let you navigate back to a link you selected to jump to the location.

That is the closest I found, and its not releated to a "Section" but rather the link you clicked to jump to that bookmark in the document.

--Nicolas

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 11:08 PM
  • Yep! That was what I was looking for. Alt + Left Arrow will take me back to the page I was on when I clicked on a link that takes me to a different page on the same document. Thank you NicolasFM!
    • Edited by Markivk Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:12 PM
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:12 PM
  • Thanks a lot.. for the answer.. this concludes my serach for BACK BUTTON  :)

Alt + Left Arrow  - ohhh! what a relief..

I had over 500 pages documents with lots of hyperlinks.. I would have gone mad!!

Saturday, February 01, 2014 12:12 AM