none
Dealing with 5000 items limit on document libraries RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

As we already know, there is a 5000 threshold limit on sharepoint document libraries.Work arounds include indexing columns, creating views,and creating folders. The issue with these solutions is that they all have short comings. So my questions is this. Is there a way to extend a document library or creating a link or view that points to multiple libraries? So far only one document library within our SP farm environment has crossed its threshold. Though we have implemented all the microsoft recommended workarounds users of the library in question have been put off these changes. So, I am trying to find a solution that looks the same but is different and server the purpose of being able to accommodate higher number  of items in a given library.

Thanks,

Dominic

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:18 AM

All replies

• Archive or move the documents to another library or site like a retention policy based on the document's date. Older documents are moved to another library. The active library will be always have less than 5000 items.

Or Increase the threshold limit but its the WebApplication setting, which affects all the sites in that.

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh
    You don't need to buy me a beer, if helpful just smile, vote, and mark it as answer.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:54 PM
  • Use Search. You can customize a search page to specifically search that library based on terms or item type, etc.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:46 PM
  • The limit is 5000 items per folder not per document library.

You can use the content organiser to structure the library if you want.

Alternatively just increase the threshold in central admin

Whilst you can archive information how of libraries using Send To or use search none of these solutions is a good because you loose all the nice library centric features like meta data browsing etc.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 5:55 PM
  • Hi Dominic,

To extend the library, you could increase the value of List View Threshold in central administration. Go to central administration->manage web applications->select one web application->click general settings->resource throttling.

If you want to create the link of the multiple libraries, you could store these urls of the libraries in one list.

To create view of multiple libraries, you could add these libraries as web page into one page.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:02 AM
  • Hi Sara,

I am aware of increasing the value threshold of the list from the CA. This doesn't suffice as a parmanent solution as it's at the expense of performance as you increase the limit.

The second option looks like an idea but would it not still be the same independent library that has a threshold of 5000.

This probably may not eixist but (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) if it were possible to group libraries together with one pointer such that anything that gets saved, get saved randomly to any of the libraries in the group, this will resolve a whole lot of issues caused by the 5000 Doc library threshold.

Dominic

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 5:25 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

Yes this is possible. The only thing is the fact that once the library hits 5000, it still becomes an issue viewing files. A search page will facilitate search results which only gives you a subset of what is contained in the library. You may want to display a variety of subset results on one screen which becomes a problem when searching.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 5:49 PM
  • Huum! This may work but would need to know how to automate the archiving of items within a library.Furthermore, if the items gets archived is there a way to create search filters based on libraries. I would want to specify a filter of the current and archive library to search for an item.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Hi Dominic,

You could archive documents between libraries by workflow.

In workflow, you could move the documents according to the status of the documents.

And you also could set the start option of the workflow as “start workflow automatically when the item is created”, then once the item is created in current library, it will be moved to the archive document library.

To filter documents based on current library and archive library, you could add the content search web part, then add the paths of the two libraries and other filters in the query text in content search web port. The path format like below:

path:"http://sp:32076/lib1"  

path:"http://sp:32076/lib2"

For more detailed information, you could refer to the articles below.

Archive SharePoint Library Documents.

http://www.kalmstrom.com/Tips/SharePointArchiveDocs.htm

Configure a Content Search Web Part in SharePoint.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Configure-a-Content-Search-Web-Part-in-SharePoint-0dc16de1-dbe4-462b-babb-bf8338c36c9a?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Best regards,

Sara Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 25, 2016 9:59 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thanks alot for this feedback. Sounds like a very good idea. I will put it to the test with some of my users and let you know the out come.

Thanks,

Dominic

Monday, November 28, 2016 11:07 AM
  • Hi Dominic,

Thanks for giving me the information about the issue.

Looking forward to your updates about the issue.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 2:53 AM
  • Hi Dominic,

I think you need to apply following two solutions on top of the existing workarounds [index columns + views etc.] in place

1. Split the content of the document library content type/ folder wise etc [as suitable], so that the you can delay the situation of reaching the limit.

2. Create Site Workflow [which you can schedule], where-in you can periodically [weekly/by-weekly/monthly] archive the documents to archive library based on some condition [older than 30 days / modified > 60 days etc] + this workflow also take care of the destination library limits and has logic to provision new archive library if required

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi Dave,

The threshold is as per document library. The only upside to this rule is that it doesn't affect the folders in the library. Hence being able to have folders in the library that can store 5000 items.

I am aware of the threshold setting that can be adjusted from the CA but that would work in the long run.

I agree, using search makes you loose all the library centric features.

Still searching for a good enough solution.

Thanks,

Dominic

Friday, December 9, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response. I seem to like your idea. On the other hand the issue I have discovered with the archiving bit of the solution is how to archive or move data that has been tagged metadata wise. Once a tagged documents in a library gets moved to another library it looses its metadata. Is there a way to solve this issue?

Friday, December 9, 2016 2:54 PM